Hideous Nazi claptrap

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Richard Hargreaves
Author

Hideous Nazi claptrap

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Denn da sich die Partei und mit ihr der Staat und das Volk in ehrendem Erinnern vor dem Opfer dieser deutschen Männer neigt, da die Kränze des Führers zu den Füssen der Toten niedergelegt werden, kehrt die Nation in diesem Gedenken gleichsam zu den Ursprüngen unserer deutschen Haltung zurück, die in den Kampf um die Erneuerung des Reiches den letzten Einsatz eines jeden wirft

Trying to get the sense of the second half of this sentence in English is almost impossible. Any takers?

For there the Party and with it the State and the people bow down in honour before the sacrifice made by these Germans, there the wreaths of the Führer are laid at the feet of the dead...

I hate this Nazi pseudo heroic rubbish. :evil:
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
HG43

Re: Hideous Nazi claptrap

Post by HG43 »

Richard Hargreaves wrote:Denn da sich die Partei und mit ihr der Staat und das Volk in ehrendem Erinnern vor dem Opfer dieser deutschen Männer neigt, da die Kränze des Führers zu den Füssen der Toten niedergelegt werden, kehrt die Nation in diesem Gedenken gleichsam zu den Ursprüngen unserer deutschen Haltung zurück, die in den Kampf um die Erneuerung des Reiches den letzten Einsatz eines jeden wirft

Trying to get the sense of the second half of this sentence in English is almost impossible. Any takers?

For there the Party and with it the State and the people bow down in honour before the sacrifice made by these Germans, there the wreaths of the Führer are laid at the feet of the dead...

I hate this Nazi pseudo heroic rubbish. :evil:
I'll give it a shot. Hope it makes sense:
..., the nation returns, within this memory, steadily back to the roots of our german attitude, which is to throw into the struggle for the renewal of the Reich the utmost effort of everyone.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Many thanks. I think. :D

It's a truly hideous sentence. I wonder if it makes much more sense in its original language!
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
hero.
Supporter

Post by hero. »

Hello Richard and HG43 !

Generally, I agree with the translation of HG43, but I would like to suggest some slight
adjustments, especially on the first part of the translation. ( I hope you don't mind :wink: ).

At this time (or: At this moment, depends on the context), where/while the Party and with it the State and the people
commemorate in honour the sacrifice, made by these German men, where/while the wreaths of the Führer
are laid at the feet of the dead, the nation, due to this commemoration, (basically) returns to the very origins
of the German attitude, which is to throw the utmost effort of every (single) man into the struggle for the renewal of the Reich.

This is not 1:1, but should be close to the intention of the speaker (which remains somehow "nebulous" to me as a German !).

Best regards,
hero.