Polizei Dienstpass Translation Request

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

hucks216
Contributor

Polizei Dienstpass Translation Request

Post by hucks216 »

Hello,
Can anyone help to translate these entries in a Polizei Dienstpass to a member of Pol.Btl 322 please?
Attachments
Signed by Hptm Gerhard Riebel.jpg
Signed by Hptm Gerhard Riebel.jpg (72.87 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
F) HAIN 001.jpg
F) HAIN 001.jpg (68.14 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
storm39
Supporter

Re: Polizei Dienstpass Translation Request

Post by storm39 »

Hucks

I think I can give you most of it.

2. Kampfhandlung bei Sluck
Fighting at Sluck (seems to be Slutsk now)
3. Eintragung der Ruhxxxxxxxx
Entering xxxx (can't make out that last word yet. it seems to end in ...vilaxe does that make any sense?)

6.8.1941 Teinahme an der Kampfhandlungen in Verbande (der Pol. Rgts "Mitte)
particiption in fighting in conjuction with Pol. Rgt. Mitte

12.8.1941 der 252 Inf. Div. Ostwärts Sluck
nordlich und sudlich Rollbahn 1
the 252 inf. div eastwards of Sluck and north and south of Rollbahn 1
hucks216
Contributor

Post by hucks216 »

You have come up trumps again, thank you.
It is hard to know what places they mean as during the period shown Pol.Btl 322 were going from place to place rounding up and executing Jews, including massacres at Bialystok in July 1941 and in Mogilev in Ocober 1941 so I would imagine places like villages would be hard to locate now. In between such actions they were indeed protecting supply lines so the Rollbahn fits in nicely.
storm39
Supporter

Post by storm39 »

maybe a better translation of 3. would be

instead of "entering" (names in a book) perhaps "registration" might be better as they are police unit. So it might be the registration of people from a particular region or village. The name I read at the moment is "Ruhogrovilaze" so it would be the registration of the population of Ruhogrovilaz maybe. I had a look with various combinations of a few of the letters which might be interpreted in different ways but I'm afraid i got nothing in google.
fridgeman
Supporter

Post by fridgeman »

A good translation of the Dienstpass, unfortunately i cant tell much more about the written lines.

What i know, the village name is Sluzk and it is in Belorussia. The "Rollbahn 1" was one of the main supply routes to the front,
parallel to the train line Baranowce - Luniniec. In this actions participated the Pol. Btl. 307 and Pol. Btl. 316 (and sure more) as part of the Pol. Rgt. Mitte. Their actions were directed against partisans, scattered soviet soldiers and on a major level against jewish citizens.
hucks216
Contributor

Post by hucks216 »

Thanks for the additional comments. I have been able to find out a decent amount of information about the movements of Pol.Btl 322 but tallying them up with what is mentioned in the Dienstpass is confusing although Google Earth has been a great help. The 252 Inf.Div entry doesn't tally with 3 Kompanie movements so he must of been detached to another part of the Battalion before being reassigned back to his parent Kompanie after this date as for the dates given for that entry, 3 Kompanie were further to the west...
Taken from German reports (published in an article by Spiegel - unfortunately (for me) the entire article is in German so I have had to type bits into a Google translator)...

10th August - 3 Kompanie executed 77 Jews between the ages of 16 -45 who were being held as prisoners in Bialowieza.
15th August – 3 Kompanie leads Jewish Aktion in Narewka-Mala. 259 women and 162 children were resettled to Kobryn. All male Jews aged 16 to 65 (282 people) and 1 Pole were shot.
18th August - The 3 Company carried out searches in the villages of Mala-Narewka, Luka, St. Narewka, Nowe-Lewkowo, Stary-Dwor, Polynic, Mostki and Tarnopol for people who are guilty of communist activities. Twenty six people here were arrested and shot.

Pol.Btl 322 were heavily involved in the massacres at Bialystok (along with Pol.Btl 316) & Mogilev inJuly & October 1941 respectively as confimed in The Yad Vashem Encyclopedia Of The Ghettos During The Holocaust Vol 1 Pol.Btl 309 were involved in the massacre on 27 June 1941 in Bialystok, a day known as 'Bloody Friday'.
Attachments
Jul to Oct 1941.jpg
Jul to Oct 1941.jpg (287.2 KiB) Viewed 3848 times
hucks216
Contributor

Post by hucks216 »

Having relooked at the information, the movements for 3 Kompanie listed above are wrong for 3./Pol.Btl 322. Those listed above relate to 3./Pol.Rgt Mitte and with Pol.Rgt Mitte, 3./Pol.Btl 322 was reported as the 9 Kompanie. So its movements do allow for the entry n the Dienstpass for the Rollbahn 1 fighting with 252 Infantry Division...

1st August 1941 – Pol.Btl 322 shot 72 Jews in a creek outside Bialowieza

31st August 1941 - 7. and 9 Company (2 & 3 Kompanie Pol.Btl 322) drove through Jewish actions in Minsk. Here, about 700 Jews, including 54 women were arrested and taken to the prison of Minsk

1st September 1941 – 9 Kompanie (3 Komp./Pol.Btl 322), along with the SD & NSKK shoot 914 Jews outside Minsk, including 64 Jewish women. Among these are the 700 Jews who were rounded up on 31st August. The 64 Jewish women were shot as they were found to be without the Yellow Star during the round-up