I said I'd be back

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Richard Hargreaves
Author

I said I'd be back

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

and I am... with this Goebbels gem.

Wenn auch nicht verkannt werden darf, daß unsere Soldaten ungeheuer schwer zu kämpfen haben und der bolschewistische Widerstand alle Maßen überschreitet, so darf man andererseits auch nicht übersehen, daß wir an eine gewisse Zeit gebunden sind, und daß, wenn es uns nicht gelingt, diese Zeit einzuhalten, damit der Sinn unserer Operationen zum großen Teil verfälscht ist und hinfällig wird.

Which I've had a stab at as:

Although we should not underestimate the facts that our soldiers face an extremely difficult struggle and that Bolshevik resistance is without parallel, on the other hand we cannot overlook the fact that we are restricted by a specific timescale and if we do not remain within this timescale, the importance of our operations will have been largely distorted and rendered invalid.

Really not happy with "largely disorted", but other suggestions for verfälscht aren't any better. :(
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Howard
Associate

Re: I said I'd be back

Post by Howard »

Here's my take on it Richard - you can pick and choose what you want :D

While it cannot be denied that our soldiers are having to fight extremely hard and that the Bolshevist resistance exceeds all limits, nor can the fact be overlooked that we are tied to a certain timescale (limit) and that, if we don't manage to stick to this, then the significance (use) of our operations will be compromised to a large extent and become invalid.
Regards

Howard
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

That's much better. I'll take that in toto Howard. :beer: :beer: :D
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Quax der Bruchpilot
Supporter

Post by Quax der Bruchpilot »