You can't beat a bit more Goebbels

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Richard Hargreaves
Author

You can't beat a bit more Goebbels

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Ist die Sache im Osten erledigt - und wir hoffen alle sehr, daß das in diesem Sommer gelingen wird -, dann kann Europa, wie der Führer sagt, sich einstacheln.

If things are settled in the East - and we all hope that we will succeed this summer - then Europe can, as the Führer says,

It's the "sich einstacheln" which I can't find in any dictionary. :(
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Hans
Associate

Re: You can't beat a bit more Goebbels

Post by Hans »

To the best of my knowledge it insinuates that Europe can move forward, it being secure following the resolution of the problem in the east.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
fridgeman
Supporter

Post by fridgeman »

"Sich einstacheln" comes from the german word Stachel, the spikes of a hedgehog.
It means not more then build up a strong defense against something.

"Sich einigeln" is often used too and has the same meaning, Igel is german for hedgehog.
HeinrichFrey
Contributor
Location: Franconia-Franconie-Franken-巴伐利亚州-Франки-فرانك-バイエルン

Post by HeinrichFrey »

This had been my first idea too. But maybe it`s was used in a zoological sense:" Auffällig war, daß alle Schmetterlings-Larven in der letzten, offenbar erst vor Kurzem verschlossenen Kammer von einer Art zu sein schienen. Die Schmetterlingsraupen waren alle noch lebendig und bewegten sich in dem Nest, verließen es aber nicht selbständig, nachdem die Öffnung am Nestboden entstanden war.

Offensichtlich erzeugt die Wespe durch den Fang (Biß), das Eintragen und möglicherweise auch durch ein E I NS T A CH E L N in den Raupenkörper einen Lähmungsreflex bei dem gefangenen Tier. So verlassen die Beutetiere nach dem Eintransport in die Kammer diese nicht selbständig wieder durch die noch unverschlossene Trichteröffnung wenn die Wespe zur erneuten Beutesuche fortfliegt."
Best Regards
Matthias

"Lage?"-"Beschissen wäre geprahlt!"
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

I'm inclined to agree with fridgeman. I would say that means that once the situation in the east has been dealt with the whole of Europe can fortify itself (against whatever may come). Maybe some locution with entrench or dig in might work? :?
Regards

Howard
HeinrichFrey
Contributor

Post by HeinrichFrey »

Maybe, Howard. The Führer used the word "einstacheln". In Austria this means putting a thorn in something. That´s what a wasp does. Perhaps the Rhinelander Goebbels didn`t understand the Innviertler from Braunau :wink:
Best Regards
Matthias

Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

You've got a good point there Heinrich, but as it's reflexive I'm not sure what we're going to get in English. And as you say, if Goebbels can't understand Gröfaz, how can we? :(

I have to say I learnt my version of the language of Schiller a lot further north :wink:
Regards

Howard
HeinrichFrey
Contributor

Post by HeinrichFrey »

I would say even Gröfaz didn`t know what he was talking about and the WWII was a little misunderstanding of his brown fellows. Dear forum, allow a bit of sarkasm :wink: :up:
Best Regards
Matthias

Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Gentlemen, many thanks for the input. I'm now wiser (well, a little)... :D

Methinks I will return in a little while. I'm ploughing through the diary from April-November 1942. :shock:

Sadly the Lochner version runs out in May and resumes in December, plus he left a hell of a lot out. :( :( :(
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

I thinks that sometimes we get caught up with words, when it's really the idea that counts.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
ReinhardH
Supporter

Post by ReinhardH »

lol, FWIW, my own best guess at yet another 'interpretation'…

"Once the situation in the East is successfully resolved - and we all hope that this will be accomplished during the course of this summer -, then Europe will be able to, as the Führer would put it, 'for at least a while, be free to shift its focus entirely onto its internal matters' "

That the expression 'sich einstacheln' isn't easily found in dictionaries doesn't surprise me at all, because there are plenty of really old colloquialisms in the German language that have very unfortunately disappeared into the past, right along with the old folks who may have routinely used them.
I love these old expressions and have a relative in Europe still familiar with plenty of them .. will hopefully be able to clarify this soon :)

Stachel = thorn
Stacheldraht = barbed wire
The spiny 'Igel' (hedgehog) curls up into a ball when threatened

These literal translations all make sense, but I agree that in this case, the CONCEPT is what really counts ...