Translation For Photo Please...

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

jimd211545s
Supporter

Translation For Photo Please...

Post by jimd211545s »

Please could somebody let me know what is written on the back of this photo...Thanks Jim.
Quad 002.jpg
Quad 002.jpg (110.21 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
Quad 001.jpg
Quad 001.jpg (148.07 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
Howard
Associate

Re: Translation For Photo Please...

Post by Howard »

I would hazard a guess at the: following/

5x undamaged English armoured transport vehicles at.... on 30 May 1940, Belgium.

The name of the place I can't decipher (Elver Olingke?) but as we can see it's somewhere in Belgium!

HTH
Regards

Howard
jimd211545s
Supporter

Post by jimd211545s »

Hi Howard, Many Thanks for the translation, My Grandfather was with the Royal Artillery in Belgium at the start of WW2, he was the battery driver of one of these quads, his could even have been one of the ones in the photo! :) Thanks Jim.
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

You're welcome :D

Now you've said it I can see they're quads; If you know where he was, perhaps you can decipher the name?
Regards

Howard
Prosper Vandenbroucke
Enthusiast

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke »

Hello Jim,
The translation done by Howard is very well.
The name of the place you are looking about must be Elverdinge, spelled Elverdinghe in 1940.
This village is located in the belgian province of West-Vlaanderen (West-Flanders) not far away from Ieper (Ypres) A well known town during World War I
During WWII, the B.E.F. (I don't know the name of the units) on the way to Dunkirk, stay in this part of the belgian country.
Hope it helps and sorry for my poor english
Kindly regards from Belgium
Prosper :wink:
jimd211545s
Supporter

Post by jimd211545s »

Hi Howard & Prosper,

Many thanks for your input, I am only just now begining to research the movements of my grandfathers unit during the 39-42 period, he served with 385 BATTERY THE 97TH (KENT YEOMANRY) FIELD REGIMENT ROYAL ARTILLERY, on the 25th april 1940 they were dispatched to the 1st R.H.A. who were in support of the 51st Highland Division, I believe in the region of Beckerholtz? I think also that he was stationed in a village called Bouzenville (?) there is a fairly good record of their movements through france but not Belgium, Do any of these names fit with what you know? If you look at my other posts there is a photo of him with a Quad but I think this was taken when they re-equipped back in England affter abandoning all their gear in France prior to escaping at St Valery (France) They were headed to Dunkirk but being attached to the 51st HD they formed part of the rear gaurd and so were cut of from Dunkirk.

Thanks again, Regards Jim.
Prosper Vandenbroucke
Enthusiast

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke »

Hello Jim,
I never heard about Beckerholtz and Bouzenville.
Maybe Beckerholtz is situated in the french Saar region, because the 1st Royal Horse artillery was stationned at the Saar front in april 1940.
Bouzenville can maybe been a little village near St. Valery en Caux.
Have a look here below:

It was in the UK as the start of the war and was mobilised in Bulford consisting of two eight gun batteries A/E and B/O. Although part of 1st Support Group of 1st Armoured Division, it deployed as an Army regiment because the armoured division was not ready. As such the Regiment, less A/E, joined 51st Highland Division, on the Saar Front in the French Sector in April 1940. In June 1940, the Regiment was captured with that Division at St Valery after severe fighting, whilst A/E Battery, also heavily engaged got out at Dunkirk. The Regiment reformed in North Wales around the survivors of A/E Battery and many others who managed to escape from France and went to Egypt in October 1940. It was still organised as A/E and B/O Batteries until February 1942 when O Battery left it to join 6th RHA, at which time its was re-organised as A, B and E batteries.

http://www.ian.a.paterson.btinternet.co ... y.htm#RHA1

It's also possible that the 1st RHA passed through a part of belgian territory during the operations in may-june 1940.
But I am not sure off all.
But i am sure at 90% that the name at the back of the picture is Elverdinge.
Regards and I always apolige for my poor english
Prosper :wink:
jimd211545s
Supporter

Post by jimd211545s »

Hi Prosper,

Thanks again for the info you are providing, It sounds very possible. One day I may get it all pieced together, I suppose this is the trouble with small units that were seconded, their actual movements are not always recorded and over time place names and locations get confused.

The other thing I shall try and do is to identify the vehicle markings and link them to a unit but there's not much to go on there.

Please don't apologise for your English its fine! and who knows maybe one day I will learn another langauge and will be able to translate for myself! :)

Regards Jim.