Chefkuebel

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

fridgeman
Supporter

Re: Chefkuebel

Post by fridgeman »

"Dieser Kerl war der Obergefreite Kowalski,(...), den Chef-Kübelwagen abgab und auf einen Henschel-Achttonner umstieg."
"This guy was the Obergefreite Kowalski, (...), giving the Chef-Kübelcar away and switching to a Henschel 8 tons."

I found this in the book 08/15, a work of Hans Hellmut Kirst. He was soldier in the Reichswehr until 1933 and later in
the wehrmacht.

"Seitdem ich den Chefkübel fahre haben meine beiden großen Zehen einen Frostschaden weg"
"Since im driving the Chefkübel both my big toes have cold injuries"

Source is the book "Feldpostbriefe aus Stalingrad", the soldier who wrote this was a Gefreiter Wernfried Senkel.

I think its clear that Chefkübel or Chefkübelwagen was a non official term used by soldiers for not only one special
type of car, but for all Kübel cars that were used by higher command officers, for example in the combat support trains.
What i think is possible is that these "Chefkuebel" often had some kind of containers attached as Zepp describes them,
as the officers were for example paymasters, veterinarians, communication or food supply officers, which had their
work materials, papers and documents with them on the car. It was like a small office on the car.
But the office container is not the Chefkübel, the car itself is.
Zepp

Post by Zepp »

Thank you Fridgeman!
My friend(Norw.off. Nordland) say he agrees with you.
I newer was the man I used to be!
kurt74

Post by kurt74 »

Hallo, Chefkuebel is definitely the Word for the Kuebelwagen, used by a commander. This Phrase is still in use in the german and austrian army up to now. There can be no correct source which gives an other intent to this word. In this case belive the second native speaker.