EK II Exploits Translation Request

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

hucks216
Contributor

EK II Exploits Translation Request

Post by hucks216 »

I have these 2 EK citations (one I have had for a while and one just received) belonging to soldiers attached to GD and on the back is a typed explanation of the soldiers actions that won him the award.
Could a member translate these for me please. I have tried a Google translation service but it seems to be a bit 'scatty'!
Attachments
1 - EK II.jpg
1 - EK II.jpg (40.7 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
2 - EKII.jpg
2 - EKII.jpg (57.42 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
l3w
Supporter

Re: EK II Exploits Translation Request

Post by l3w »

Sorry for the bad English; translation was a bit tricky, since whoever wrote it brilliantly managed to pack it all in one (!) sentence - I tried to keep it as literal as possible.
In the defensive battles around Dubrovka between 2 and 8 August 1941, Obergefreiter Hermsdorf has shown special courage and bravery when he indefatigably restored the telephone wires to the the batallion and the platoons, which in places were in uncovered terrain and were destroyed by enemy shellfire again and again, in such a short time that the dangerous business of the messengers could be kept at a minimum.
Again, sorry if the translation is grammatically incorrect.
Unteroffizier Schröck has especially distinguished himself in an attack on our field position north of Putras on 19 September 1944. During the attack our positions were heavily guarded [sic] and put out of action by snipers. But regardless of the danger, Schröck regrouped his group against the attack on the left flank of the company and could thus decisively engage in the defensive battle. It's his merit that the attack could be contained and eventually repulsed. Schröck was heavily wounded.
hucks216
Contributor

Post by hucks216 »

Many thanks for your efforts - it makes more sense than the Google versions. Your help is much appreciated.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

The first one's harder than the second because of the numerous clauses; not entirely happy with the translation.

During the defensive fighting around Dubrowka between August 2nd and 8th 1941, Obergefreiter Hermsdorf demonstrated great courage and bravery. Under enemy mortar fire he constantly restored telephone lines - in some cases repeatedly destroyed by the shelling - in the shortest possible time, thus keeping the need to use messengers - at great danger to themselves - to a minimum.

The second one's rather easier. :D

On September 19th 1944 Unteroffizier Schröck particularly distinguished himself during an attack on our field position north of Putras.
During that attack, our position was kept under intense scrutiny by snipers and knocked out. Despite the danger Schröck deployed his Gruppe against the attack which was being carried out against the company's left flank. In doing so, he intervened decisively in the defensive battle.
Thanks to his actions the attack was stopped and finally utterly defeated. Schröck was gravely wounded.
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man