Hi there! I'm new and need a first help:Stalingrad + France

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

ourhistory

Hi there! I'm new and need a first help:Stalingrad + France

Post by ourhistory »

Hi ,
I've get some answer from Deutsche Dienstelle Berlin about one of my older family member.
Have some limits in ordsr to understand everything.

First question (its' about the Deutsche Dienstelle infos I've received days ago):
The brother of my grandmother died as gefreiter in Stalingrad (missed) on 31.12.1942 / feldpost 02 519.
Regimensts-stabes/infanterie regiment 576

Im not really into military terms.
Please explain me what "Regimensts-stabes" and "feldpost 02 519" means and the meaning of the letters written on the ERKENNUNGSMARKE (Number+M.G.Ers.Kp.4/39) .Number that I've get from Deutsche Dienstelle as well.

I'm also looking for infos about infanterie regiment 576 on this or other sites (story,info or pictures).

Second help:
my grandfather (he survived the war) had his head-quarter in France in a castle called "Chateau Dragon".But I could never find the village/area name (have only a picture with that name).
And still don't know his military level and speciality (should I ask Deutsche Dienstelle even if he survived?).
A big "thank you" to everyone able to help us.
Regards
Howard
Associate

Re: Hi there! I'm new and need a first help:Stalingrad + France

Post by Howard »

Hi,

Regiments-stabs is Regimental staff and Feldpost 02 519 is the Field postal number for the regiment (like BFPO numbers nowadays in the UK).

I think the text on the dog tags means the following: Replacement machine gun company, the numbers indicating platoon and company.

No ideas for the French château I'm afraid!

HTH
Regards

Howard
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

info on IR 576 from lexikonderwehrmacht. Can't see any mention of Stalingrad even in the entry for the Grenadier regiment.

Aufgestellt am 24. November 1940 als Regiment der 13. Welle im Raum Ravensburg aus Teilen der Infanterie-Regimenter 195 und 238 und der 305. Infanterie-Division unterstellt. Die 13. Kompanie wurde erst am 1. März 1942 und die 14. Kompanie am 31. März 1942 aufgestellt. Am 15. Oktober 1942 in Grenadier-Regiment 576 umbenannt.

raised on 24 November 1940 as a regiment in the 13th wave in the area of Ravensburg from elements of IRs 195 and 238 and subordinated to 305 Infantry Division. 13th Company was only raised on 1 March 1942 and 14th Company on 31 March 1942; On 15 October 1942 renamed Grenadier regiment 576.
Regards

Howard
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

Sorry, I was a bit too hasty. :oops: IR 576 was a part of 305 Infantry Division which was destroyed at Stalingrad. See link:

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... /305ID.htm
Regards

Howard
vkun
Supporter

Post by vkun »

google result after 0.2 seconds :roll: ("chateau dragon" world war 2):

http://telefunker.wordpress.com/category/castles/

perhaps this is it...
hucks216
Contributor

Post by hucks216 »

If you can you might like to get a copy of the book Island Of Fire by Jason D Mark as it is about the 305th Infantry Division during Stalingrad and gives a day by day account of the fighting...
http://www.leapinghorseman.com/proddeta ... 764X&cat=5