How to decrypt a psotal address?

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Hugueso

How to decrypt a psotal address?

Post by Hugueso »

Hello,

This is the address of a letter sent to one member of my family by his sister. The soldier was Emile Reicher, a French 18 years old young man, forced to join the German Army because he was born in Mosel, France.

The address is :
Grenadier REICHER Emile
1 Komp. Ers. Bat. 309
Ruhleben Alex Kaserne
Berlin Spandau

Can someone help me and tell or explain me if I can retrieve the name of the unit, division, Army, he served in?

He died in Kirovograd, december 9th, 1943.

Thank you for your help.
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Hi,

the adress would suggest your familly member was still in Berlin when the letters were sent to Grenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon 309 (replecement battalion 309). But what unit he served in later is imposible to tell from here.

Do you know when the letters (especially the last was sent to this adress)? Perhaps that could provide more clues...

best,
Miha
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
-- Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago. --
Hugueso

Post by Hugueso »

Hello,

Thank you, I will try to find out.

I do have have letters telling that he's stayed in Berlin for a few months. And he was still in Berlin in August 1943.

Then he left for the front. Unfortunately, my family did not keep all the envelops they received. The last letter he wrote has been stamped 5 days after he died.

In fact, he wrote the letter on 6 december, died on 9 december, and the letter is stamped 14 december 1943. This last letter is only a white/yellow paper, with a Feldpost stamp (no number), and the absender part is not filled in.

In my opinion, this letter might have been posted by someone else after his death.

Later (end of december or early january) my family received a small parcel containing the letters they sent him over the last few months. These letters were probably found in his basement or on his body... There are in front of me when I write these lines, and are very moving as they are covered by blood.

Do you think there a tiny chance to find living veterans from this unit?

Thanks