Please Help

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Commissar D, the Evil

Please Help

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Hi Guys, I posted this to help with a question on the Unit History Forum. Could someone please translate it? There's not too much information on this unit in English.Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:27 pm Post subject: Scharnhorst

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this helps, sorry it's in German, but it is an excerpt from a book about Wenck's Army by Gellerman:

DIE INFANTERIEDIVISION SHARNHORST

Diese Division ist ab 30. marz 1945 weitgehend im Raum Dessau/RoBlau in der Gliederung einer Inf.Div 45 aufgestellt worden. Die grundlegeden Befehle hierfur Ergingen am 23. Marz, 4., 8., 12. und 15, April 1945.
Es sollten folgende Zufuhrungen erfolgen: der Div.Stab mit Versorgungs-Teilen von der 340 I.D. sowie die Reste der 167. Infanteriedivision.
Volgende Verbande standen zur Stammbildung der Regimenter bzw. Der Battalione zur Verfugung:
Das Pionier-Btl. Von Pionier-Schule Dessau/RoBlau:
Stab, I. Und IV Abt. Des Volksartillerie-Korps 412:
Stab und Stabskompanie der Pz.Jg. Abt. Magdeburg:
Teile des Nachr. Lehrregimentes Halle.
Der Werkreis Bohmen und Mahren stellte die Karenstelle. Intwieweit die letzegenannten Zufurhrungen tatsachlich erfolgt sind, konne nicht mehr ermittel werden.
Die Fuhrerwuchsschulen des Wehrkreiss XI stellen das weitere Personal.
Die drei Grenadierregimenter wurden in folgenden Orten aufgestellt: I in RoBlau, 2 in der Pionierkassern RoBlau, 3 in Dessau, in GroB- und Klein-Kuhnau sowie in Alten.
Sie bestanden zu 80 Prozent aus Fahnenjuunkern, Unterofffizierschulern und Unteroffiziervorschulern. Das Gren. Rgt. 2 setze sich zun Teil aus hochdekorierten Luftwaffenangehorigen zusammen. Die ifanteristische Ausrustung bestand aus Karabiner, Sturmgewehr 44, MG 34 und 42, Panzerfaust und Panzerschreck. Granatwerfer, PaK und Infanteriegeschutze waren in Sollhohe vorhanden. Die Pz.Jgr. Abt. Wurde in Dessau/RoBlau aufgestellt. Ihre Starke betrug 427 Soldaten und 14/18 Ofiziere. Folgende Ausrustungsgegenstande wurden aus dem Bereich des Fleigerhorstes Oranienbaum beschafft: ein Tieflader, einige 3-t-Zugmaschinen , Zwillings- und Vieringsflakgeschutze, 20 Flieger-MGs sowie einige VW-Gelande- bzw.Schwimmwagen. Die zugewiesene Pz. Kp. War mit Panjewagen und Pferden, nicht aber mit Panzern ausgerustet. Fur die Jgd,Pz.Kp., standen etwa 7 Jagdpanzer zur Verfugung.

Thanks for ay help and Best Regards, David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
David Gregory

Translation

Post by David Gregory »

Hi,

Trust this will do the trick.

All the best,

David Gregory,
Germany

Translation:

INFANTERIEDIVISION SHARNHORST

The division was raised as of 30 March 1945 largely in the Dessau/RoBlau area in the form of an Inf.Div 45. The basic orders for this were issued on 23 March, 4, 8, 12 and 15 April 1945.
The following assignments were to be effected: Divisional staff with supply elements from 340 I.D. as well as the remains of 167. Infanteriedivision.
The following formations were available for the creation of cadres for the regiments and batallions:
Pionier-Btl. from Pionier-Schule Dessau/RoBlau:
Staff, I. and IV batallions (you can argue the toss about the correct English term for this one in an artillery formation) of Volksartillerie-Korps 412:
Staff and staff company of Pz.Jg. Abt. Magdeburg:
Parts of Nachr. Lehrregiment Halle.
Military District Böhmen und Mähren provided the "Karenstelle" (German typo? May be map unit- "Kartenstelle"). It is no longer possible to determine to what extent the above-mentioned assignments actually took place.
The Fuhrerwuchsschulen (German typo? May be "Führernachwuchsschulen" - officer cadet schools) of Military District XI provided the remaining personnel.
The three Grenadier regiments were raised in the following locations: I in RoBlau, 2 in the RoBlau Pionier barracks, 3 in Dessau, in GroB- und Klein-Kuhnau as well as in Alten.
80 percent of them consisted of officer cadets, trainee NCOs and NCO pre-students. The second regiment partly consisted of highly decorated members of the Luftwaffe. Infantry equipment comprised Karabiner, Sturmgewehr 44, MG 34 and 42, Panzerfaust and Panzerschreck. Mortars, AT guns and infantry guns were available at theoretical strength. The Pz.Jgr. Abt. was raised in Dessau/RoBlau. It consisted of 427 other ranks and 14/18 officers. The following equipment items were procured from the Oranienbaum airbase area: a low-loader, some 3 t tractor units, twin and quadruple AAA, 20 AA MGs as well as some VW jeeps and Schwimmwagen. The assigned Pz. Kp. was equipped with horses and carts, but had no tanks. Approximately 7 Jagdpanzer were available to the Jgd.Pz.Kp.
The excitement is in tents (pun intended) - visit http://www.zeltbahn.net and see.
German ID documents and related biographies at http://www.zeltbahn.net/wehrpass/
David Gregory

Correction

Post by David Gregory »

The text only refers to one low-loader, and not "some". Sorry.
The excitement is in tents (pun intended) - visit http://www.zeltbahn.net and see.
German ID documents and related biographies at http://www.zeltbahn.net/wehrpass/
Commissar D, the Evil

Many, Many Thanks

Many, Many, Thanks David for the translation. I will post it in the "Units" section. (Oh, if I had ever expected to adopt German Military History as a hobby!!!) You've been of immense help and I will gladly return the favor if I am able to. Very Best Regards, David
Commissar D, the Evil

P.S.

P.S., David, any spelling errors Im sure are mine! Thanks Again. Very Best Regards, David :D :D :D