Nachschub versus Versorgung units

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

dak4482

Nachschub versus Versorgung units

Post by dak4482 »

Hi all,

I am in the process of using Google translate to understand the unit listings in Mueller-Hillebrand's "Das Heer". Have run across several unit descriptions that appear to translate the same but I'm sure are different meanings. Can anyone explain the difference between a Nachschub versus a Versorgung unit? I have seen Nachschubfuhrer, Nachschub.Kol, etc and then Versorgungstruppen, Versorgungsdienste,etc. The "Kriegsprache" book lists them both as meaning "supply".

Also he uses the various unit descriptions different. For example he shows a Werkstattkomp and a Pion.Komp. and a Nachr.Zug and a Krankenkw.Zuge and a Pz. Spahzug Are they both company units and platoons or is there a difference in his notation?

Any help?
Thx in advance

Dan
John W. Howard

Re: Nachschub versus Versorgung units

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Dan:
As far as I know Nachschub and Versorgungs mean the same thing. There may be a subtle difference between the two terms, but I do not know of it. Perhaps there was just a change of terminology within the Wehrmacht at some point. As to the second part of your question a Zug is a platoon and a Kompanie is a company as far as I know. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
dak4482

Post by dak4482 »

John,

Thx for the reply. I was looking for the meaning of the different uses of zugs and Kom's. I do know the difference between a zug and company haha. Sorry if my request was a little confusing. I knew I'd mess that up. Anyway, thx again. I wonder why they would have changed the terminology for "supply" over time? Maybe it depended on what area they were supplying - HQ, regiments or divisions, or supply Parks etc.
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

Nachschub = Supply

Versorgung = Service — includes supply, medical, veterinary, commissary, military police, post, etc. (all non-combat) units. Note, although some armies consider engineer and signal troops to be service units, the German Army considered them as combat units.
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces
dak4482

Post by dak4482 »

Leo,

Thx for the explanation. Makes alot of sense. Any ideas on the different uses of zug and Kom's?

Dan
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

Sorry, I don't exactly understand the question.
There were independent platoons, as well as platoons belonging to companies and larger units.
You say you know the difference between company and platoon. So where's the problem?
dak4482

Post by dak4482 »

I was specifically looking at the period to make sure it just showed that what is before it is an abbreviation and not something different. But still wondering about zug and zuge.

Dan
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

Zug = (singular) platoon
Züge = (plural) platoons [note the umlaut]

Both the singular and plural can be abbreviated as Zg.

Note that the word Zug can also mean a whole lot of other things, like a (railroad) train, or (wind) draft, draw (like in pull), traction (like towing), etc. Consult a German-English dictionary.

There were no official abbreviations for many words, and people made them up as they went along. For example for Kompanie, there was Kp. and Komp.

Sometimes confusingly, is that the Germans use the "." (dot) as an ordinal indicator, (the st, nd, rd, and th added to numbers).
Soldat7128
Supporter

Post by Soldat7128 »

dak4482 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:01 am Hi all,

I am in the process of using Google translate to understand the unit listings in Mueller-Hillebrand's "Das Heer". Have run across several unit descriptions that appear to translate the same but I'm sure are different meanings. Can anyone explain the difference between a Nachschub versus a Versorgung unit? I have seen Nachschubfuhrer, Nachschub.Kol, etc and then Versorgungstruppen, Versorgungsdienste,etc. The "Kriegsprache" book lists them both as meaning "supply".

Also he uses the various unit descriptions different. For example he shows a Werkstattkomp and a Pion.Komp. and a Nachr.Zug and a Krankenkw.Zuge and a Pz. Spahzug Are they both company units and platoons or is there a difference in his notation?

Any help?
Thx in advance

Dan
It seems like your question has been answered but one thing I can contribute is that you shouldn't use Google Translate, it's not a very good resource (although easy to use I know because it's easily integrated into your browser).

My German professor recommended either dict.leo.org or dict.cc (I use the latter); I believe both also offer the ability to post terms you want help with and people (native speakers) sometimes respond.
dak4482

Post by dak4482 »

Soldat 7128,
Thx for the information. Up to now I was limited to Google translate and Houlihan's "Kriegsprache".
Dan