Help in Locating unit of German Veteran

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

[email protected]

Help in Locating unit of German Veteran

Post by [email protected] »

Request help/suggestions in finding unit of German Veteran.... Following facts apply:

Name- LUDOLPH, LOUIS [LUIZ] LUDWIG
Born 14September1920 Vicosa, Brazil

Family from Germany, subject in Germany in late 1930s going to University... unknown which, but likely in Bad Kreuznach area.

Entered Military, family stories placed him as a sidecar motorcycle driver perhaps in an SS unit.

Facts-He was an enlisted soldier, he was captured on the Eastern Front by Russian forces, he was a POW in Russia working in a lead mine, he was released in 1954/55 in poor health, he returned to his family [Wife, child] in Bad Kreuznach.

Said to have died in the 1980's in Bad Kreuznach. Surviving family has little information

Any suggestions appreciated.... Best

Mike Konczak Baird, Texas
Soldat7128
Supporter

Re: Help in Locating unit of German Veteran

Post by Soldat7128 »

You can try: https://www.bundesarchiv.de/EN/Navigati ... ds-en.html

From there a link takes you to: https://www.bundesarchiv.de/EN/Content/ ... en-en.html

where it seems like the archive in Berlin-Reinickendorf may be a good place to start (if he was a prisoner):

"The Federal Archives’ department PA in Berlin-Reinickendorf identifies evidence of war captivity of German soldiers, assists in clarifying missing persons’ fates and provides information on..."
[email protected]

Re: Help in Locating unit of German Veteran

Post by [email protected] »

Morning... Thank you for your reply on this cold snowy day..... I have the WASt information and even a scan of his form he filled out on his return from Soviet POW camps in 1950 to claim back pay and compensation.. What I need is help in deciphering the shrift and the military abbrevations. I have the book on German Military abbreviations but many used are not in the book. He even lists the POW camps in Russia but his writing is VERY hard to read. I have had several folks look at it, even older relations in Germany, without results.

If you can point me to someone who is knowledgeable in this, I would appreciate it. Glad to send the scans.

Thanks.... best to you and yours.... stay warm

Mike Konczak
Baird, Texas