Advice/Help With Research

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

irish.fiddler3

Advice/Help With Research

Post by irish.fiddler3 »

Hello everyone,

I am considering hiring a private researcher, as I am not able to come up with what I'm looking for on my own. What I'd like to find out before pursuing this route is if the information I have on hand is even going to be useful to a researcher in turning up any results. The biggest problem that I have is that I don't know this soldier's last name. I have photos of him, I know what his first name is, as well as that of his spouse, and the year and place they were married. I know that he was in Flieger Regiment 22, though I am not sure what his trade was. Many photos show him with the unit's marching band, however I am unsure of whether being a bandsman was a full time position for a soldier or a voluntary side gig. (Is someone able to answer that?) I know that he was with the regiment in Güstrow, Poland, Douai, and Ghent. The only other location listed is on the back of an identification type photo dated April 1945, stamped by a photographers guild in Wernigerode.

I'd just like to find out his story. The pictures span from 1940 to 1945, and also document the relationship between him and his wife before and up to the point they were married. I am quite interested in his career, as the photos also show his progress from flieger to feldwebel. Most importantly, I want to know if he survived. So, what do you think, could this information be useful to a researcher? Do researchers have access to nominal rolls in the archives, if any for the unit even exist anymore, or do you need to have a full name? What sort of information can a researcher obtain for you if you are not a relative of the soldier in question? Are you even able to get a career summary? Can anyone recommend a researcher that specializes in this timeframe of the German military? Any advice or insight will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time,

Pat
Prosper Vandenbroucke
Enthusiast

Re: Advice/Help With Research

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke »

The Flieger rement 22 wa created at Güstrow in 1939 under the name of Flieger-Ausbildungs-Regiment 22
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... -Rgt22.htm
but in september 1944 the unit was disbanded and was incorporated in a Fallschirmjäger-Division but I dont know wich one.
Kindly regards and sorry for my bad english but it is no my native language
Prosper :wink: :wink: