Help needed understanding Uncles information

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

carrera73rs

Help needed understanding Uncles information

Post by carrera73rs »

Hello all
I received information from my cousin about her fathers Wehrmacht history.
-He was part, as most teenagers were of the Hitler Jugend and did "Schutze" training , not the SS Unit.
-His ID number is, KA./FU7343
-He was sent to Berlin in May 1943 for Meister Schutzen and Schiess Aus Zeichnung
My dad told me he was captured in Italy and spent the rest of the war as a POW in Sydney Montana.
Being discharged in Nov 1946

-Does his ID number tell anything of his first Unit?
-Is Schutze training, and Meister Schutzen training just basic and advanced Infantry courses, or something else?

I do have a request in with Wast, but thought I would do some research in here also.
Thank you for your assistance.
Kirk
Landserstudent
Supporter

Re: Help needed understanding Uncles information

Post by Landserstudent »

Hello, and my compliments on your on-going research.

"Schuetze" was also considered the word for private rank; I would guess your uncle's "schuetze" time was his basic training time,
and the other training stints similar to U.S. military's "advanced infantry training."

Thank you for mentioning the POW camp in Sydney, Montana. I will look into the existence of that camp, as many of the camps in Montana were for interned civilians. Also, there were many temporary camps across the northern Great Plains used for housing
POW workers during harvests, etc.

Hope WaST provides some info for you. I used it for one of my relatives; they don't have POW info, at least they did not for Russia.

cheers.