KIA's SS Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 3 "Deutschland"

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

D_Dutch
Supporter

KIA's SS Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 3 "Deutschland"

Post by D_Dutch »

Hello,

I am in the posession of a group photo of soldiers of II./SS Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 3 "Deutschland" which was made on the 2nd of June, 1943 in Prag-Russin. The most interresting is that I have the names of all of the soldiers on the photo, and one of them was eventually awarded the Deutsches Kreuz in Gold and the Ritterkreuz. Now I am trying to research all of the soldiers and I have allready found information about three of them. They were killed in either Stepanowka and Mironowka.
This explains a lot;

Am 17. Juli 1943 wurde das Unternehmen Zitadelle abgebrochen. Das Regiment wurde verladen und per Eisenbahn an den Mius verlegt und gegen den hier gebildeten russischen Brückenkopf eingesetzt. Bei der Ortschaft Stepanowka gab es äußerst harte Nahkämpfe. Bis zum 2. August dauerten diese Kämpfe, die dem Regiment schwere Verluste beibrachten. Am 4. August wurde das Regiment dann in den Raum Charkow in Marsch gesetzt.

Now, I am trying to find out of the other soldiers in the photo have died too during the heavy fights near Stepanowka, but since I have no information except their names, is there an ability to find out if they died during the war? Most of the soldiers were young, born around 1924. I have seen that some people are able to find out if soldiers died during the war very fast via the Volksbund website, but it does not work for me.

With kind regards,

Koen.
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Re: KIA's SS Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 3 "Deutschland"

Post by John P. Moore »

Here is the link to the VDK form to submit your question.

http://www.volksbund.de/graebersuche/content_suche.asp

You have to register before your question will be accepted and a reply given.
D_Dutch
Supporter

Post by D_Dutch »

Hello,

It works now! :D Thanks! Unfortunately I now see that many more members of that unit died during those months, not what I was hoping for. :( Furthermore, I have one other question. I have received letters from the WASt with a little bit of information during three of the SS soldiers on the photo's. Does this mean that they have original documents of the soldier's service records? I was wondering if that are the things that you have to pay for...

With kind regards,

Koen.
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Post by Richard Schoutissen »

D_Dutch wrote:Hello,

It works now! :D Thanks! Unfortunately I now see that many more members of that unit died during those months, not what I was hoping for. :( Furthermore, I have one other question. I have received letters from the WASt with a little bit of information during three of the SS soldiers on the photo's. Does this mean that they have original documents of the soldier's service records? I was wondering if that are the things that you have to pay for...

With kind regards,

Koen.
"Normally" when more documents are available, for example at the Bundesarchiv R 2 (former 'Berlin Document Center') in Berlin, they will let you now by writing.
c.d.Schmidt

Post by c.d.Schmidt »

My grandfather was in the 2nd Panzer division assigned to 4./ Deutschland ,he served in the Russian campaigns and received the War merit in gold. At one point alot of his fellow soldiers were killed. His name was Johann( went by Hans)Karl Schmidt.
c.d.Schmidt

Post by c.d.Schmidt »

At one point my grandfather went with a bunch of soldiers to get their palms read and the lady would only tell his fortune and he was one of the only ones to.survive.