Happy Christmas HaEn

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

gerhard2
Supporter

Happy Christmas HaEn

Post by gerhard2 »

Hi HaEn:
HAPPY CHRISTMAS to you and everybody here .

Remember your Christmases from our days with Adolf and the other guy's?
I can remember in 43 getting ready for Christmas eve and Ivan starting to join in with
the Stalin organ we had to leave in a hurry, Ivan got all our Christmas goodies.
44 Christmas Eve I drove into a bomb crater collecting a message and ended up in
the hospital, no shape for any Christmas goodies.
45 a tent over a hole in the ground in Belgium same in 46, no Christmas goodies.
In 47 my Christmases started to look up, then in a POW camp in England I was invited
by a family for a cup of tea and given candy and a pack of Woodbine (cigarettes).
From then on my Christmas times greatly improved.
Except now I can't eat candies, they raise my blood sugar too high, no pickles, too much
salt which raises my blood pressure. Only a little ham or turkey because I have to watch
my Cholesterol besides the doctor watches my weight. :evil:
Figure that one out.
Gerhard
Annelie
Patron

Re: Happy Christmas HaEn

Post by Annelie »

Gerhard and HaEn

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Becareful of the goodies. You know what they say about too much of a good thing. :D
Annelie

Re: Happy Christmas HaEn

Post by John P. Moore »

Gerhard - Thank you for posting those thoughtful remarks that remind us of the hardships that soldiers experience, especially during the holiday season. The veterans here on Feldgrau had the Soldatenglück to avoid the Heldentod and are now experiencing the affects of old age, something that I can also relate to. This is a good time to remember the many soldiers whose young lives ended too soon during the Christmas season in December 1944 in the Ardennes.

John
Attachments
Reeb,-Adolf.jpg
Reeb,-Adolf.jpg (172.7 KiB) Viewed 2278 times