POW Camp located in central Virginia

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

LeeW

POW Camp located in central Virginia

Post by LeeW »

Hello, I am looking for information pertaining to a prisoner of war camp for German soldiers interred during World War II. The camp site was located in the small township of Green Bay, Virginia (United States). On a map, Green Bay can be found in central Virginia in Prince Edward County just south of the larger town of Farmville which is itself located about halfway between the city of Lynchburg to the west and the state capital city of Richmond to the east.

Currently there is very little information available regarding this prisoner of war site. So, on behalf of a local World War II historical roundtable discussion group that is just getting started and organized, I am reaching out for any information that can be shared by individuals reading this message.

The objective of our research is to put together a detailed, factually accurate account of how our tiny, little corner of the world once played an important role in the much larger story that was World War II.

Here is what we know so far: The camp was originally built and inhabited by the Civilian Conservation Corps during the Great Depression of the 1930's. It was later refitted during World War II to house German prisoners captured in battle. Shortly after World War II ended the camp was abandoned and almost entirely forgotten. Today, the location of where the camp once stood is within the confines of the Prince Edward-Gallion State Forest. All that remains are a handful of crumbling, concrete structural foundations scattered here and there mostly hidden by dense undergrowth and large trees.

Here is what we don't know and need to have clarified:
1) Rumor: The prisoners housed at this camp were members of the Deutsche Afrika Korps (DAK). Is this correct?

2) Rumor: After the war ended some prisoners decided to stay in the Green Bay area and become part of the local community rather than return home to Germany. Is this true?

3) Question: Was the Green Bay camp one of the many sub-camps organized and administered out of the much larger facility located at Fort Pickett in nearby Blackstone, Virginia?

4) Question: Were the prisoners at Green Bay enlisted men only, officers only, or both?

5) Question: How did the prisoners spend their time? Did they stay confined and work only within the camp? Were they sent out in work details to tend the fields of local farmers? Did they help as manual labor for local construction projects?

Thank you for taking the time to read this message. I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help answer these questions or at least point us in the right direction where answers can be found.

Regards,

Lee Wilcox, PST
Twin Lakes State Park
Green Bay, Virginia 23942
(United States)
phone: (434) 392-3435
email: [email protected]
mightythor99
Enthusiast

Re: POW Camp located in central Virginia

Post by mightythor99 »

found this on a quick search..........

http://www.thelongestpatrol.com/pwoverview.html

many of the prisoners of war here, state side, were captured in north africa, but not all. i live near camp atterbury, indiana, and there were prisoners of war there. they were not completely confined to the camp, they were used as manual labor, here, on farms, and in a canning factory. my dad worked there one summer, and worked with the p.o.w.'s. they were a long way from home, and were not really trying to escape much, for the most part. some in texas, and arizona, tried to escape, you can read about them, lots of stories written probably.
there were officers, and enlisted men, mostly enlisted, probably the same for your camp.
many wanted to stay...... knowing that they were going to go back to a completely destroyed homeland. i think they all had to go home,...... some found their way back to the states.
i have a pretty good photo group, some paperwork too, from a guy who was captured in north africa, and he came to mussouri, to a "seed company", which sold plant seeds all over the united states. in reasearching it,.... it's still in business, and went INTO business, in the 1700's, for pioneers, heading west, to pick up seeds to plant so they'd have food. pretty interesting histories from those camps, little known probably.
hope that helps!
ted
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!
LeeW

Re: POW Camp located in central Virginia

Post by LeeW »

Ted, thanks so much for the response and the link! It has provided a wealth of new information that will greatly assist me with the presentation I'm about to give to our local WWII Roundtable discussion group! -Lee