Is Rudi Salvermoser still around?

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Freebooter

Is Rudi Salvermoser still around?

Post by Freebooter »

Hello all,
I have only recently reregistered after a very long absence, several years actaully. I remember a German veteran named Rudi Salvermoser, who was a Stug driver during the war, who used to post and answer questions, etc.. In fact he and I corresponded for a while and he sent me a CD he recorded of some of his favorite WWII German marching songs, etc., including "Im Feldquartier". Is he still around?
Thanks,
David Edelen
Alabama
One Shot, One Kill!!
Rudi Salvermoser

Re: Is Rudi Salvermoser still around?

Post by Rudi Salvermoser »

Hello David,
thanks for your inquiry. Yes, I am still around. A few days ago, another post, called "Texas Veterans", listed some posts about this subject.
I am presently living in Florida with our daughter and family until our homes have been built. We live now in Celebration, Florida and will move soon move into our newly built homes.

I am still in good health and plan to stick around for many more years (God willing). BTW, you probably noticed that my former forum name (Rudi S.) has been changed to Rudi Salvermoser (I had forgotten my old one [Rudi S.], therefore I had to establish a new one [Rudi Salvermoser].

It was nice to hear from you and that you were concerned about me. Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Rudi
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Hello Rudi!!
It is good indeed to hear from you. I had lost that CD you sent me and found it the other day. I have listened to it several times and now my sister has borrowed it. Our father fought with the 10th Mountain Division in Italy and we grew up with WWII "Lore". During the war, one of my uncles was in the pacific and one in Patton's 3rd Army. My mom was in Naval Intelligence in Washington, D.C.. Only Uncle John, who served on Destroyers in the Pacific is still alive.

I have a friend whose mom was from Hanover, who lost a brother on the eastern front and had an uncle named Westphal who was on Rommel's Staff. Actually, mine and all my friends' fathers all fought in WWII. One friend's dad served in the Wehrmacht in the Hitler Jugend. I am not sure if he was in the Hitler Jugend as a youth or as a soldier in the Hitler Jugend Division (or was it one and the same?). His last name was Fladüng, from Fulda, Deutschland. Alas, he too has gone to the halls of Valhalla like my dad and all my friends' dads!

As for your moving to Florida, you have moved down in my neck of the woods. I am just north of you. I live in the center of Alabama, near Montgomery. What part of Florida are you in? I am only familiar with the panhandle area. I have a sister that lives in Pensacola and a brother in Ft. Walton. I go down sometimes to visit them. I hope you are in that area, I would love to come down and meet you. My brother, a WWII history buff like myself, and my Uncle John would probably love to meet you too.
Again, it is good to hear from you mein bruder!
Später,
David Edelen
Alabama
One Shot, One Kill!!
Rudi Salvermoser

Hello David,
I am finally getting around to catch up with my reading (on the internet).
My wife and I left Texas last fall, visited my wife's sister in Washington, DC for about 2 months and moved to Celebration, Florida to stay in the condo our daughter with family rented. Reason for the move: our granddaughter is employed by the entertainment department in Disney world. Just a little over a week ago we moved into our new home in Orlando, FL; next door to our daughter's home.
All in all I can state that I am doing fine (considering my "advanced youth" age.

Best ragrds,
Rudi Salvermoser
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Hello Rudi,
IT is good to know you are doing well mein freund. Years ago, in like 1983 or so, I worked in Orlando for almost a year. It was nice and never gets cold there, but does indeed get hot!! If I am ever planning on coming down that way I will let you know.
Later,
David Edelen
Alabama
One Shot, One Kill!!
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Never say never!!

I was in Orlando during the winter of 79-80. It was damned cold!! That was one of the years they had fires going in the orange groves, so they didn't freeze.

Still and all, the climate down there is nice. The only thing I didn't like about Florida was that it was just too flat!! I wasn't overly fond of the humidity, either, but that could just be me.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Hello Tom,
I was down there working, remodelling the motel "Ramada Court of Flags". It might not even be there now, or changed names. It was during the winter time and it was just wonderfully cool and breezy, with only a few brisk days that year it seems.

Hey Rudi,
I have a question: one time, if I remember correctly, you said you were the driver of a "Stug" (SturmGeschutz) during the war. What was your uniform you wore while at the front? I have seen pics and read things describing the black panzer uniforms, wrap around tunics, field grey uniforms, cammo, etc.. What sort did you wear for the most part? Just curious.
Thanks,
David Edelen
Alabama
One Shot, One Kill!!
Rudi Salvermoser

Hello David,
I was the gunner either in a Mark IV or Sturmgeschuetz III during WWII (at times also the Kommandant of one of them).
During basic training in Bamberg (35th Panzer Ausbildungs Abteilung), we were drilled in all phases of a crew member: Fahrer, Ladeschuetze, Funker, Kanonier, und Kommandant. In Rasenen (Rasaniai), Litauen, Iwas the gunner when we were hit by the Stalin Tank.
When I think about these days, it is very difficult to recall many details; apparently only the ones that seemed to be important that impressed one most.
Take care of yourself and many cordial greetings from Florida,
Rudi
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Hello Rudi, mein freund,
It is good, as always, to hear from you. I wish you and my father and his brother could have met. they are both dead now, but my father was in the 10th Mountain Division and fought in Italy. His brother, my uncle, was in the 9th Infantry Division in Patton's 3rd Army. I have one uncle who served still living. He was in the navy in the Pacific theater, on a "Destroyer".

Of the two tanks you mentioned, the Mark IV or the Stug-III, which did you like the best, which had more room, was more comfortable and fun to work in? By the way, did you mean a Panzerkampfwagon MkIV or a PzkwgMkIV; Tiger-1?
Thanks for allowing me to bother you one more time.
David Edelen
Alabama
One Shot, One Kill!!
Rudi Salvermoser

Hello David,
thanks for your post.
We just called them Panzer IV and Sturmgeschuetz III. I imagine that there were various models (Ausfuehrungen). After all these years (my - how time flies), I cannot remember details very well. The ones I had been in were those with long barrels not with the stubby ones (is that how you would call them in English?).
Alles Gute wuensche ich Dir,
Rudi
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Hallo Rudi mein freund,
Das ist es in Engless; lang und kurz (short or "stubby" in slang).
Auf Wiedersehen und guten nach mein freund. Ich spechen mit sie später! Ich arbeiten "early" in das Morgan (4:30am). Mein Deutsch ist nicht gut, Ich spreche nur bischen Deutsch!
D. Edelen
One Shot, One Kill!!
chambers
Contributor

Post by chambers »

Hello again Mr. Salvermoser. So glad to hear that you are doing well and enjoying your new state of residence. I'm sure you're no stranger to steemnig hot summers, I just wish you could bottle some of that up and ship it to me up here in WV.

cheers!
Brooke
Rudi Salvermoser

Hello everyone,
I thought that it is about time to send a "Lebenszeichen" (sign of life - literally translated) from me.
I'm living in our home less than 2 miles behind Disneyworld and enjoying it. Daughter and her family are our neighbours.
I am doing fine.
We just recently celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary and my 85th Birthday (I think I am beating HaEn by a couple of years).
Healthwise, I am doing fine. Just getting a little forgetful. I think the call ir "short-term memory loss).

Best regards,
Rudi
chambers
Contributor

Post by chambers »

I'm glad to hear it, dear sir. I hope that you enjoy the winter in your paridise, I certainly will be thinking about you when the snow and ice begins to fly in WV.

Enjoy the sunshine! Congrats on the anniversiary and a belated happy birthday! Here's to many more :)
Rudi Welz
Supporter

Post by Rudi Welz »

Hallo, Rudi!
I am glad to hear from you again and to hear, that you moved.Congratulations to you, we will spent our 60.anniversary in two days with our daughter over here in Warren Michigan. The doc of my wife allowed the flight and they will give her a new part in her heart when we go back in Oktober. We are so glad that my wife could make the trip and I think it will be the last one to USA. You are right, you got a few years more than our good friend Haen but I hope that he will be allowed to get some more years. So, have a nice time and let us hear some more the next time, in old friendship
Rudi Welz