Frundsberg Vet Dies

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

joefraser
Supporter

Frundsberg Vet Dies

Post by joefraser »

One of the vets I used to talk with has passed on; I will miss our chats together.

Werner Busse
Former SS soldier turned Scottish pub landlord
Born: 9 December, 1925, in Halberstadt, Germany.
Died: 26 June, 2008, in California, aged 82.

WERNER Busse was a former SS soldier who fell in love with Scotland and became a popular pub landlord.

A German tank commander during the Second World War, he later became friends with many British soldiers who frequented his bars.

Busse, who came from the city of Halberstadt near the Harz Mountains in central Germany, volunteered for the Waffen or "armed SS" at the age of 16.

He went on to join the 10th SS Panzer Division Frundsberg where he became a tank commander and survived the hell of the Eastern front in Russia for two years before going on to fight in Normandy.

The 10th SS Panzer Division Frundsberg earned the reputation as one of the best tank units that Germany could muster during the Second World War.

In 1944, when Busse was 18, his tank was knocked out by a PIAT rocket during a post D-Day battle in Caen in Normandy. Some of the other soldiers on the vehicle were killed, but Busse was blown out of the turret by the blast and suffered only a shrapnel wound.

He was captured by the Allies and after having his wounds treated at a hospital in Bayeux, he was sent to various POW camps in the UK. However, because of food shortages at the time he was shipped out with other German prisoners to the United States.

While there, he picked cotton in Alabama, worked on ex-president Jimmy Carter's peanut farm, in Georgia, and branded cattle at a ranch in Indiana. He managed to escape on one occasion, but was captured by the local sheriff, who bought him a burger before handing him over to the FBI.

Werner was sent to Scotland in 1946, and was a POW at Craigellachie, near Elgin, before going on to do farm work at Keith.

While at a barn dance there, he met his future wife, Molly, the daughter of George Stables, a decorated First World War veteran with the Sixth Gordons.

They were married in Brechin, while both worked at Stracathro Hospital. Molly and Werner, who was a keen boxer and footballer, then ran a hotel in Montrose.

They moved to Inverness and ran The Plough at Eastgate, before it was redeveloped. They then took over The Imperial Bar, which became The Moray.

It twice won the pub for best performance in turnover with Tennents.

Well respected and liked by many of his customers, Busse had a witty turn of phrase and loved to debate politics. He was a big fan of the "Iron Lady", Margaret Thatcher. However, he had to throw many customers out, particularly those who called him "Herman the German".

Werner had a great affinity with soldiers who came to stay at Fort George and the Cameron Barracks in Inverness. He put up regimental crests and mascots in the pub and was an honorary member in the Sergeant's Mess of the King's Own Scottish Borderers.

He and Molly ran The Moray for about 20 years, before retiring in 1990.

"Since then we have done a lot of travelling to different places around the world. Werner loved travelling and always had a soft spot for America, I think he would have liked to have been a cowboy," Molly said. "Werner always said he was enormously in the debt of the people of Scotland because they treated him so well.

"He wanted to thank them all for their kindness."

She added: "He has been lucky all these years, and there was a hardiness about him that made him a survivor."

Thirteen Frundsbergers were awarded the Knights Cross, including divisional commander Heinz Harmel. Busse had been one of a number of old comrades who had met regularly after the war.

Werner Busse, who died while on holiday in California, is survived by Molly and their two daughters.

The full article contains 660 words and appears in The Scotsman newspaper.
Page 1 of 1

Source: The Scotsman
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Re: Frundsberg Vet Dies

Post by John P. Moore »

Joe - thanks for posting that interesting story. Do you have of photo of Werner Busse that you can add to the thread?

John
joefraser
Supporter

Post by joefraser »

Unfortunately, no. I spoke to Molly today and when I got off the phone I thought I should have asked her if she had one I could have. Next time I speak to her I will ask.
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Joe:
Excellent post!! Thanks so much for posting it. It sounds like Herr Busse touched many lives in a positive way and led a full life. God Bless him!!
John W. Howard
joefraser
Supporter

Post by joefraser »

Here is another part of the story,

British Legion snub funeral of local pub boss who was former SS man

THE British Legion are snubbing an old soldier's funeral - because he was German.

Yet Werner Busse, 82, who ran pubs in Scotland after the war, had good links with the British military for 60 years.

He even arranged for a collection in aid of the Legion at his funeral.

But Inverness Royal British Legion chairman Brian Matheson said: "Werner Busse is a former enemy combatant and couldn't be a member of the Legion.

"We won't be sending anyone along to this man's funeral despite him having the collection in our benefit."
I can sort of understand where they are coming from but it does seem a bit silly. Oh, and his ashes are being scattered on hill 112 where he fought his final battle in W.W.2
Paul E
Supporter

Post by Paul E »

I heard about Werner Busse death and the snub to him by the British Legion from another British based Waffen SS Veteran, it is sad that the KOSB could make him an honoury member of the Sgts mess but that the Legion could not find it in themselves to honour his work on their behalf.

Werner Busse has some memoirs recorded in the book Loyalty is my Honour by Gordon Williamson including at least one photograph which i will try and scan and post,

regards

Paul
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

The Legion has some odd stances on things - don't they have a contrary psoition at the minute on the campaign to allow Gurkhas to retire to the UK?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

The local British Legion seems rather out of step in the case of the late Mr Busse and reconciliation in general. The BL does a lot of great work but like any largely voluntary organisation, it has its fair share of Little Hitlers and Sawdust Caesars in management positions. Someone should really have a word with Mr Matheson. It would be interesting to know a bit more about his military service...if any.

PK
haen2
WWII Vet

Post by haen2 »

Hi Paddy, Actually, it is more traumatic to the friends and family, than to the person himself.
On the 1st of november i will be 82, and realize that the older I get the less important it becomes.
Don't get me wrong; it's nice to be recognized, preferably when you are still alive; but important ? Nah.
Greets !!!!
HN
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
Mansal D

Post by Mansal D »

Rest in peace, Werner
Ljotrulf

Post by Ljotrulf »

Having re-read this thread, I recall that a British legion Branch in Edinburgh had a former member of the Leibstandarte as a member and the Penicuik Branch had a former Wehrmacht POW as a member. They were former "enemy combatants" but, like anyone else, they could acquire associate membership of the British Legion (many branches are so short of members, particularly younger members, that they rely of these associate members to keep numbers at a viable level). The Inverness British legion is a large and well attended branch but its decision not to send a representative to Busse's funeral was mean spirited. Busse may have been a former enemy combatant but he was a British citizen for over 50 years with good links to the British military.
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

The Inverness British legion is a large and well attended branch but its decision not to send a representative to Busse's funeral was mean spirited. Busse may have been a former enemy combatant but he was a British citizen for over 50 years with good links to the British military.
I agree. This man was only 18 in 1944 when he was captured.
Having spent fifty plus years in Britain as a productive citizen it was pretty petty.
Annelie

Post by haen2 »

Amen !
HN
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !