Hemingway and Powalla

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Gott Mit Uns

Hemingway and Powalla

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

I am a writer seeking information on a german soldier who died in France in 1944.

HUBERT POWALLA
BORN 25.02.1917 Kochlowitz
DIED 30.07.1944 1KM South Villabaudon, France

Herr Powalla was an Obergrefeiter
7. Kompanie Panzer-Grenadier Regiment 156 and before that
2. Kompanie Panzer-Grenadier Regiment 6
Genesendenkompanie Panzer-Grenadier Ersatz-Batallion 6

This information is from Deutsche Dienststelle.

I am trying to accomplish the following..

1. Learn more details of his death. I have reasin to believe he was riding a motorcycle at the time of his death..perhaps he was a dispatch rider?

2. and I am trying to locate relatives of this man in the hope they can assist my research with more information and perhaps pictures.

3. I have strong reason to believe this man was shot and killed by the American writer Ernest Hemingway who was in France as a war correspondent attached to the US Army's 22ND Infantry Regiment.

Any help and/or advice gratefully received and very much appreciated.
TOM SANDERS
Brendan Hunt
Supporter

Post by Brendan Hunt »

From the Volksbund (Basically what you already have):

Nachname: Powalla
Vorname: Hubert
Dienstgrad: Obergefreiter
Geburtsdatum: 25.02.1917
Geburtsort: Kochlowitz
Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 30.07.1944
Todes-/Vermisstenort: 1 km so. Villebaudon

Hubert Powalla ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Marigny (Frankreich) .
Endgrablage: Block 1 Reihe 16 Grab 614

Nähere Informationen zu diesem Friedhof erhalten Sie hier.

Falls der Obengenannte mit Ihnen verwandt ist, und Sie von uns über Sachstandsänderungen informiert werden möchten, füllen Sie bitte das folgende Formular aus. Wir legen dann einen Vorgang an, um Sie somit über Neuigkeiten unterrichten zu können. Bitte prüfen Sie vorher an Hand Ihrer Unterlagen sorgfältig, ob es sich wirklich um Ihren Angehörigen handelt. Falls Sie nicht sicher sind, vermerken Sie dies im Textfeld des Formulares.

Hinweis für Friedhofsbesucher: Auf einigen Soldatenfriedhöfen, die der Volksbund derzeit in Osteuropa errichtet, ist die Namen-bzw. Grabkennzeichnung noch nicht erfolgt. Es empfiehlt sich deshalb vor einer geplanten Reise eine Rückfrage bei der Bundesgeschäftsstelle in Kassel.

Der Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge sorgt für die Ruhestätten der im Ersten und Zweiten Weltkrieg ums Leben gekommenen deutschen Soldaten. Der Volksbund errichtete bisher über 820 Kriegsgräberstätten in 45 Staaten, auf denen etwa zwei Millionen Kriegstote ruhen. Bau und Pflege dieser Friedhöfe wurden nur möglich durch Spenden der Förderer dieser humanitären Arbeit sowie durch Beiträge der über 197 000 Mitglieder des Volksbundes.

I'm curious as to how you would find surviving members of his family. I'm researching a gefallen soldaten as well and would like to know if you have any tips.

All the best
-B
Brendan
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Brendan,

Thanks very much for the Volksbund information. Unfortunately, it is much the same as what I had from the Deutsche Dienststelle.

As to suggestion for finding relatives..it is not easy and you have to be determined to dig through the bureaucracy. The last search i did took me almost two years. I managed to find the area where the soldier lived after the war, wrote the burgermeister's in the villages and towns and finally, finally....bingo!

With Powalla, i am in the process if sendung enquiry letters and/or e-mails to every Powalla I can find in Germany and POLAND. It is a long shot...but hey!

best regards,
tom sanders
Tom K Sanders
Gott Mit Uns

Re: Hemingway and Powalla

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Well, it's back to the drawing board. I was wrong. Iit turns out. , Huberrt Powalla probably wasn't the Nazi soldier Hemingway killed to get the Gott Mit Uns buckle and belt.

I say jthat after having gone to Poland where I intervied his 85-year-old brother.The soldier I am seeking was riding a motorcycle, possibly as a dispatch rider. Powalla was a tank driver and, according to an eyewitness, probably burned to death when hils tank took a direct hit.
Tom K Sanders
HeinrichFrey
Contributor
Location: Franconia-Franconie-Franken-巴伐利亚州-Франки-فرانك-バイエルン

Post by HeinrichFrey »

Hello Tom,
here You may find a Powalla in Germany: http://christoph.stoepel.net/geogen/v3/ ... E&mode=rel
Best Regards
Matthias

"Lage?"-"Beschissen wäre geprahlt!"
Gott Mit Uns

Re: Hemingway

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

My research into Ernest Hemingway’s activities as a war correspondent in World War Two continues….

Specifically, I am seeking details of the life and death of two young German soldiers. The following is information I have obtained from the Deutsche Dienststelle regarding

Voss, Wilhelm, geb, 03.03.1924 in Oberhausen
Gefallen: 31.07.1944 – 1 km sudostw. Villebauden / Frankreich
Gefreiter Voss at the time of his death was with 7. Companie Panzer Grenadier Regiment 156

Schwarz,Josef, geb, am 09.05.1921 in Michzen krs. Leitmeritz
Gefallen: 29.07.1944 – Im raum Villebaudon / Frankreich
Flieger Schwarz at the time of his death was with 1. Kompanie A/Flieger-Ausbildungs-Regiment 53
And there is this entry
Lalut Meldung vom 29.07.1944 1. Abteilung Fallschirm Sturmgeschwader Brigade 12 (motorisiert)

My objective is to locate family members/descendants of these men/Veterans who knew them
Any help and advice by members of this forum will be gratefully received and very much appreciated.

If anyone would like to know more about my research, please visit my website Paradise Unlimited at http://www.tksanders.com . Go to the belt buckle icon and click on it,

TOM SANDERS
Tom K Sanders
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Tom:
Keep us posted on your research. I suspect that Hemingway was just running his big mouth, but shooting a prisoner or two isn't too much of a stretch for an alcoholic braggart. I've always enjoyed Hemingway's writing, but he was a very difficult man to fathom and steeped in the anti-facism of the Spanish Civil War. It is quite possible he viewed the German soldiers as symbols of a great evil and not as human beings and acted accordingly. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

John,

With respect, I have NEVER said or written that Hemingway shot and killed German POW'S.

From my research, I do believe Hemingwqy killed a number of German soldiers under battle conditions. That includes the soldier from which he took the Gott Mit Uns belt buckle. Since he was there as a war correspondent, taking up arms was a violation of the Geneva convention. Hemingway, right or wrong, did not see it that way. Many soldiers who were with him praised his courage under fire in Grosshau, the Hurtgen Forrest. etc. (He was awarded the Bronze Star). He was in contact with the OSS and did interrogate POW's in part because of his language skills. But, repeating for the record, in ten years research, I have found nothing about Hemingway shooting POW,s.

I invite anyone interested in reading further on thhis subject to visit my website Paradise Unlimited at http://www.tksanders.com . and click on the belt buckle icon.

best regards,
tom
Tom K Sanders
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Tom:
Pardon me for misunderstanding you. I thought at one time there were rumors that Hemingway had killed POW's, maybe even posted on this site, but I must confess I feel better that you have found no evidence of such. Your website is great; I was really impressed with your interest in "Papa". A few years back, I too managed to visit Oak Park and see the museum and home of his birth. My nephew actually attended the same high school as Ernie. Did you happen to see the Duck Hunting photo of Hemingway on the dock with his shotgun?? I wanted to purchase a print but as usual had insufficient funds :wink: Please keep us appraised of your research; I for one am very interested. Best wishes :wink:
John W. Howard
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

John,
Re: HEMINGWAY shooting Pow's

No offence intended or taken. I recall the message you mentioned. However, the writer provided no documentation. And as best I can remember, he was repeating what a friend told him.

Things like this can spread on the internet like a forrest fire, and I just wanted to ensure that the allegation was not associated with me.

Hemingway did kill a number of german soldiers under battle conditions including the soldier from whom he took the Gott
Mit Uns buckle.

Voss and Schwarz (see earlier posts) one or the other, could be the soldier i am seeking, but the only way I can know for
sure is to find another veteran who was there or, a family member who knows how they died.

thanks for your kind words about my website.

best regards
tom
Tom K Sanders
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

no luck yet in my search for Wilhelm Voss. i've sent personal letters to every Voss in Oberhausen where he was born.

any other ideas/suggestions very welcome.

tom sanders
Tom K Sanders