looking for a family member a possible Jager.

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Jager01

looking for a family member a possible Jager.

Post by Jager01 »

Hello I am searching for what unit my family members were in in the Second World War, They were always Jagers in the Hessen Feld-Jager Korps and and in 1813 they were absorbed into the 11th Jager Battalion out of Marburg. I know allot changed in the Second war and family affiliations with regiments no longer held so I am at a complete lost at what unit they were in. On the family tree I see a Heinrich that was Killed in the USSR at either a Kirim or Krim, in 11/1/44. The last name is Muth. Thank you for your help and time.
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

First stop should be the Amtsgericht of the town/city in which they were born. You will need at least one date of birth to get the ball rolling.

Then of course there is WASt: Deutsche Dienstelle [WASt], Eichborndamm 179, 13403 BERLIN. Again you will need to provide names, place and dates of birth.

I suggest that Krim [Crimea] is right.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Jager01 and welcome to Feldgrau!

I don't know how common the family name of Muth is/was in Germany but here are some highly decorated Muth's... Maybe relatives to you?

Karl Muth recieved the Ritterkreuz on 05.09.1944 as an Oberfeldwebel i. d. 7./GR 399.
Born 02.06.1916 in Ludwigshafen-Neuhofen, he died in the same town on 29.05.1990.

Friedel Muth recieved the Deutsche Kreuz in Gold on 01.10.1944 as an Oberfeldwebel in a Luftwaffe Aufklärungsgruppe.

Ludwig Muth recieved the Deutsche Kreuz in Gold on 03.08.1943 as an Unteroffizier in 5./GR 266.

Dr. Heinrich Muth recieved the Deutsche Kreuz in Gold on 14.09.1943 as an Oberarzt in II./GR 156 (mot).

Sources has been Scherzer (2005) and Patzwall & Scherzer (2001).

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Jager01

Post by Jager01 »

Thank you for the help, When I make the trip to Germany this summer I plan to search the Marburg archives and the German military archives which I suppose are in Berlin, The address and city escape me for the moment. But you have helped me much already. Forgive me for my ignorance but I am a more Napoleonic era historian myself, does GR stand for "Grenzer" "Gebrigs-Jager" Or am I missing the point all together!
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

That looks like Grenadier Regiment, though GR can also indicate Gebirgs Regiment as well.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Hello again Jager01!

It's a common abbreviation for Grenadier-Regiment. Other abbreviations are Gren.Rgt. and also Grenadier-Rgt. And Tom, I never seen the abbreviation GR for a Gebirgsjäger-Regiment, only as GJR or Geb.Jg.Rgt. etc. Here are some links to the different GR of the Muth's... There you can follow the links to the Divisions to which these Regiments belonged to, Combat deplyment etc.

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... /GR156.htm

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... /GR266.htm

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... /GR399.htm

Regards,

Krollspell
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

And while I'm at it...

Here's Oberfeldwebel Karl Muth of the GR 399 sporting his RK...

Karl Muth
http://www.das-ritterkreuz.de

And a short biography (in german)...
Karl Muth gehörte seit Dezember 1939 dem Infanterieregiment 399 an. Als Unteroffizier nahm er an den Feldzügen in Jugoslawien und Südrußland bis zur Krim teil. Ab 1942 lag er mit seinem Regiment vor Leningrad. Bei den Rückzugskämpfen ab Januar 1944 fielen binnen weniger Wochen drei Kompanieführer seiner 7. Kompanie, so daß Muth die Kompanie übernahm. Nach schweren Gefechten bei Krassnowardeisk führte er seine Einheit bis zur Narwa zurück, wo er mit seinen Grenadieren den Rückzugsweg für die Division offen hielt. Dafür erhielt er das Ritterkreuz und worde zum Leutnant befördert.
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Per ... M/Muth.htm

More regards,

Krollspell
Jager01

Thank You

Post by Jager01 »

Thank you, your replys were more then what I expected , this is surely the forum with the most educated on the entire web.
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Post by Richard Schoutissen »

Is it Heinrich Muth, Born 05-10-1907 and MIA in the region Alma / Tamak / Baidary / Belbeck / Kap Lukul / Bachtschisaraij / BijukUsenbasch / Sewastopol. (Crimea peninsula) ?
Jager01

Services

Post by Jager01 »

Thank you gentlemen you have been a great help to me and my family. Are there any government services I can contact to get more information besides just sap off you? Thank you.
MuthK

Re: looking for a family member a possible Jager.

Post by MuthK »

Karl Muth is my grandfather, but unfortunately i never met him....