Locating German Veteran Cemeteries

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

RF

Locating German Veteran Cemeteries

Post by RF »

Dear Forum Members,

For those that do not read German and are trying to locate a WW2 German cemetery where their ancestors or loved one is buried, please follow these directions in using the German War Graves Commission (Volksbund der Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge) website;

1) Go to < www.http://www.volksbund.de/ >

2) Click on "Kriegsgräberstätten" in the left-hand margin.

3) Then go to the right margin where it says "Land" (Country) and scroll down to the country of your choice. Most of the country names will be easy to decipher, but just in case, here's a quick guide to some of them:

Ägypten (Egypt)
Belgien (Belgium)
Estland (Estonia)
Frankreich (France)
Griechenland (Greece)
Großbritannien (Great Britain)
Irland (Ireland)
Island (Iceland)
Italien (Italy)
Jugoslawien (Yugoslavia)
Lettland (Latvia)
Litauen (Lithuania)
Österreich (Austria)
Rußland (Russia)
Schweiz (Switzerland)
Tschechische Republik (Czech Rep.)
Ungarn (Hungay)

4) Once you've located the country you are looking for, click on it and you will be given a short description in German on War Graves in that country, along with a scroll down option on the right margin marked "Stadt:" where you can select the particular city within that country where the cemetery is located.

5) The next result, in German of course, will be a short description of the cemetery, a photo, plus travel directions. Although it's in German, simply copy the info & paste it to http://www.freetranslation.com/ - The translation will probably not be 100%, but you will get the gist of it.

Regards,

RFogt
rayman

Post by rayman »

RF,
Great post! I'm seeking info about locations of SS cemeteries. Wondering if anyone out there has compiled a list of some sort?
Cheers,
Rayman.
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Hello Roland:

Thankyou for your once again being of great help to those searching.

I would also like to add something to your post.

Let us not forget to "Donate" to this wonderful cause.
They go above and beyond to help those searching.

I believe we both know of someone whom has told me that they went to Russia and searched for a grave, found location took a photo and even interviewed person or persons whom may have had any information for the person searching for their relative and sent all this to the parties involved. I think this goes to show how much and how serious they are about what they have undertaken.

Annelie
RF

RE: VDK

Post by RF »

Dear Annelie,

Thank you Annelie - your kind words are always most appreciated. Today I received in the mail a book from the German War Graves Commission entitled "Weihnachtsgeschichten aus Schwerer Zeit" (Christmas stories from difficult times). My German isn't what it used to be (or should be). Send me your address Annelie & I will mail you this book - you will derive more info than I can. Alles gutes im neuen jahr,

Roland
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Waffen-SS Cemeteries

Post by John P. Moore »

The newest version of my Führerliste der Waffen-SS CD that will be available in mid-January will inculde an Addendum containing 74 pages listing the names, locations and units of Waffen-SS officers buried in 252 Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge administered cemeteries in 23 countries in eastern and western Europe. Another section contains several hundred wartime and post-war photos of Waffen-SS officer graves in 15 cemeteries in 8 countries, including the graves of 18 Ritterkreuzträger.