Vet stories

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Alex Coles
Associate

Vet stories

Post by Alex Coles »

I've read the autobiographies on feldgrau.com, but fellow WWII axis veterans can you tell us some more stories? They are really interesting and it's always a question to me what it was like on the front.
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

hi 17th, it might be rude to publically ask this way, you could PM the vets, etc. Also Haen, Rudi have already posted quite a few stories, maybe you could look it up.

cheers

helmut
gerhard2
Supporter

Post by gerhard2 »

By 17 SS Panzer Grenadier "what it was like on the front"

Bloody awful.
In Russia during the summer the bugs eat you alive, so I was told and in the winter as I found out we froze our b...s off and I was a host to zillions of lice. Also for some reason we weren't very welcome and a lot of people were actually shooting at me when not being entertained by the Stalin organ. The food, what little we had was lousy.
In the West it was somewhat similar except it was not as cold and instead of the Stalin organ it was artillery and those pesky air planes.
That was my take on my time at the front.
Gerhard
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Also for some reason we weren't very welcome and a lot of people were actually shooting at me
:D :D :D

Great post Gerhard! :D

Best,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Rudi S.
WWII Vet

Hello Gerhard

Post by Rudi S. »

Hello Gerhard,
you said: " I was a host to zillions of lice."
I was luckier than you. Believe it or not: I never had a louse on my body - the reason: because I never slept in places were footsoldiers slept (like in sheep-pens, etc.); instead I stayed either in the tank or slept on the 'Heck'. Then, of course, I spent a rather short time in the "field" - 3 months around Narva, one month in Lithuania (Rasenen) where I got a direct hit from a Ruski Stalin II, and after that, I spent time in the rear in Prüm because I was kuv (4F). I considered myself lucky - this way I could join the US Army - 3 years plus the *Truman" year".
Take care - its later than you think.
Alles Gute besonders Gesundheit,
Rudi S.
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Hi Rudi! Thanks to my good friend Prit Buttar, I ran across an account that might interest you. The crew of a Panzerjager IV (carrying the L-70 "Panther" 75 mm gun) took a hit from a JS-2 on their front plate. They were lucky, as the round did not penetrate their 80mm frontal armor into the fighting compartment, due to the angle at which it struck. But it left a "furrow" 4 centimeters deep and 70 centimeters long. That 122mm gun on the Stalin was a mean piece of equipment....

Very Best,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
panzerschreck1
Enthusiast

Post by panzerschreck1 »

Rudi, can i ask you where your exact location was at Narwa?
Who were your neighbours? Where you at the south-west of Narwa near the boot (see Carius account) ore were you patrolling east of the narwa front..

All the best panzerschreck...
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Commissar D, the Evil wrote: But it left a "furrow" 4 centimeters deep and 70 centimeters long.
Ouch! You can't buff that out! That must have left their ears ringing, at least!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

well... thanks 17th, you managed to get some good stories from Rudi, Gerhard, etc. Good one Gerhard, that was realistic. :up:
gerhard2
Supporter

Post by gerhard2 »

Hello Rudi,
lucky you not having any lice but you know we most likely got most of our lice from clothing donated by Ivan.
I am sure had I taken my parka off, one of those nice quilted Russian coats, it would have walked away.
When we got a new replacement Spiess straight from Arolsen he tried to clean us up by offering a cigarette for every louse. You should have seen the queue of guys with tins and bottles. He gave up after only about 5 or 6 guy's.
Most likely at the end of that day he had lice himself.
I was not in the "field" much longer then you, just about 6 Month. That was enough for me, the sniper who got me propably did me a favour.
Most of my time spent after losing our gun was retreating to a better defensive position or shortening the front line, what ever fancy name they called it. I finally got rid of all my "pets" in the hospital.
Take care and all the best to you too.
Gerhard
Rudi S.
WWII Vet

Narwa Front

Post by Rudi S. »

Panzerschreck,
I posted the following in March this year:

"I saw action on the Narwa Front, arriving in Riga on 9 February 1944. At 3AM the next day we finished unloading the train in Johwi and continued to Oru. I remember being at the Railroad station Auwere. It was at the time when the Russians attempted to encircle us and to break through to the Finnish Bay (Meerbusen). Had they succeeded, the entire Narwa front would have been encircled and the German troups in the vicinity of Leningrad would have been cut off. It was at RR station Auwere where the Russians attempted to attack by way of using a corduroy road. It was there where my Sturmgeschütz (commander Uffz. Hofmann) and Uffz. Rahn's Sturmgeschütz prevented the breakthrough. About 20 Russian tanks (KVII and T34s) attempted the breakthrough; however, I destroyed one KVII and 3 T34s and Rahn knocked out 2 T34s and somewhat later another one which he chased. 3 or 4 more Russian tanks were destroyed by either Feldherrnhalle or Flak 88s. The funny thing about this battle was that the Wehrmachtsbericht (German reports about happenings on the fronts) reported that Feldherrnhalle avoided the breakthrough by destroying 10 enemy tanks. At that time, our rear echelon was quartered in Konju. I also remember names, namely 'Kinderheim', and 'Kohtla-Järvi'.
Our unit (Kampfgruppe Böhrend which was part of the (Führerbegleitbn/GD) returned on or about 1 June 1944 to the Wolf's Den (Rastenburg) in East Prussia. This was my only employment to the Narwa area. My second east front deployment was to Lithuania where I was seriously wounded by a direct hit of a JSII on 8 August 1944. After recovery from my wounds, I spent time behind the Battle of the Bulge (with Kampfgruppe Remer of the FBB/GD) as I was still 'kuv' (4F)."
Best to you.
Rudi S.
haen2
WWII Vet

experience

Post by haen2 »

Hello Rudi and Gerhard.
After reading these as well as previous posts I feel só humbled.
I was never at the Eastern front, and the lice we had were of the Dutch breed :D
Nor was I ever in a tank that got a direct hit.
Trained(sic) as a Panzergrenadier, I hoofed it most of the time.
After basic training, I was shuffled from one "training" to another, even to become a SharfSchütze" (Sniper). I did not have the "killer instinct though and was sent back to my unit after a few weeks, with some kind of badge, but no assignment. I did not see any action until Sept.'44 at Arnhem. At that time I was a kradmelder (ohne krad :( ) as well as an assistant medic who was by then assigned to get in over his ears. meaning: got to play "sanitäter" without restrictions, as a sideline.
From there on until March '45 "Krad - Rad - Fuss - oder Bauch" melder, and after i shot of my mouth to a Stubaf about a heap of hostages I had seen on the side of the road, shot by the "Grüne Polizei", I :( :( was a proud :roll: :roll: member of a Panzerjagdkommando, where (of course) I also got to be melder and sani besides "panzer knacken".

To all our young friends on this and other forums.
Believe me, even from my limited actions and experiences, i can tell you that "war" is not glorious, nor is it heroics all the time.
It STINKS ! literally and figuratively. There is an American expression for this: "Blood, Gore, and Guts".
Oh those good old days :( :roll: :( :roll:
HN
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
Jake
Contributor

Post by Jake »

I just want to say thanks to Rudi, Gerhard and Haen, for your posts here in this thread and throughout Feldgrau. They're great to read. Best wishes to all of you.

Regards
Jake
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

Yes! From me too...Thank you! :D

But...what's a "Bauch Melder"? :[]
Rudi S.
WWII Vet

Bauchmelder

Post by Rudi S. »

Hello M. H.,
literally: a messenger who crawls on his belly instead of riding a bike, Krad, or other means of transportation.
Rudi S.