Missing soldier

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

kim vachon

Missing soldier

Post by kim vachon »

We have been searching for our uncle.He last checked in,in Feb. 1945,from Dresden. And he was seen in Chelmno POW camp also in 1945.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Do you have his full name, and any possible information regarding his rank and/or unit (or units) that he may have served in?
kim vachon

Post by kim vachon »

Hi Jason
His name is Gustal Kunas dob Sept.18 1924.The question on which unit he was with etc. is more or less unknown. My aunt (his sister) was and is still sure he was with the polizei but we haven't been able to prove it. He did come home once after his "basic" and she remembers his uniform being blue or green-blue but anyone I have been in touch with in Germany can find no proof of which division he was with.She swears to this date he was with schultzpolizei.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Well, I have good news and bad news. I checked the online database of the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge, and they list

Nachname: Kunas
Vorname: Gustav
Dienstgrad:
Geburtsdatum: 18.09.1924
Geburtsort: Bambinen
Todes-/Vermisstendatum:
Todesort:

Which seems to be the same person as you mentioned - they have the same last name and birthdate. Only problem is, they don't have any info on when or where he died or where he is buried.

You can send in a written request to them to do some further research on him though if you like, and that might turn up more info.

http://www.volksbund.de

I hope this helps somewhat!