11 Nov.2005

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

haen1
Supporter

11 Nov.2005

Post by haen1 »

To all veterans of either side:
Take a moment today to remember your fallen comrades.
HN
Rudi S.
WWII Vet

Veterans Day

Post by Rudi S. »

Hello HN,
I've done as you suggested. One remembers not only the fallen but also the survivors who have been fighting side by side with each one of us (lucky) survivors.
It is a pity that, when one gets older, one forgets names and details of circumstances and even faces of one's comrades. I presume that you are a WWII veteran, and if so, you'll understand what I mean to say.
I posted under a different heading a msg today about the 11th of November 1918 (Waffenstillstandstag). If I remember correctly, 'Waffenstillstand' happend at 11h of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 (correct me if I am wrong).
I wish the best to you, especially good health,
Rudi S.
chambers
Contributor

Post by chambers »

Rudi S. and Haen, you both were in my thoughts on this Veteran's Day. Thank you both so much for being here to communicate with us. I have really learned a lot from reading your posts.

Hugs,
BC
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

My thoughts were on many men. Family members, friends, brothers-in-arms, and the veterans I've met on these forums. It is good that so many lived, so they can remind us of the price that was paid long ago, for what we have today.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

This year I was invited to the ceromy at Munster , Ehrenhain der deutschen Panzertruppe . A very impressive event . Pictures you could see here :

http://forum.panzer-archiv.de/viewtopic.php?t=3755

Jan-Hendrik
haen1
Supporter

Heldengedenktag

Post by haen1 »

Nice pictures Jan Hendrik.
I was not aware that the Bundeswehr is allowed to participate in ceremonies like these.
I would have answered on that forum, but my German, after 56 years in the USA is too rusty to be trusted in any real conversation.
By the way: Jan Hendrik ? Dutch ?
Just curious.

Grüssen
HN
Stalingrad
Contributor

Post by Stalingrad »

Well, the family from my mothers side is German...And I thought of those who were in WWI, like my Opa's Opa(Which I've mentioned in some other threads). And those in WW2, like my Opas father, his uncles, he's stepfather, and other relatives... I found a death card of one of them... He was in the Luftwaffe, died 20 years old, 1945. May he and the other who were in both world wars, related to me or not, rest in peace. And for those who live, you are in my thoughts, take care.

Ps. Nice pics, Jan-Hendrik.
Regards:
S
Wo ist die Feldküche?
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Thanks !

Jan-Hendrik ia "nordic" version of Johann-Heinrich .
But my family came from Pomorania :wink:

Jan-Hendrik
Blitzvogel

National Day of Mourning

Post by Blitzvogel »

Can anyone confirm the German National Day of Mourning?

Are there any celebrations in Canada or the US?

Danke
A people show no greatness in honouring its warriors coming home victorious.
But how great and noble a people would be that still binds wreaths to its men who return defeated.
German Born
Supporter

Re: National Day of Mourning

Post by German Born »

Blitzvogel wrote:Can anyone confirm the German National Day of Mourning?

Are there any celebrations in Canada or the US?

Da

nke
I have been told the German people ,or anyone else for that matter can show mourning on November 11 by lighting a candle in the front window.If I am wrong I,m sure I,ll be corrected. :D
Just another brick in the wall 1961-1989
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

I have been told the German people ,or anyone else for that matter can show mourning on November 11 by lighting a candle in the front window.If I am wrong I,m sure I,ll be corrected.
Correct!

Also on the September 11th, 2001, there wery many candles behind german windows...

Michael
Blitzvogel

Post by Blitzvogel »

Thanks for the info, but November 11 would seem to represent the Allied side of the equation, even though both sides welcomed the end of the war. I recall a ceremony at a cemetery in Kitchener Ontario that contains graves of German POWs but was not sure if it was date related.
A people show no greatness in honouring its warriors coming home victorious.
But how great and noble a people would be that still binds wreaths to its men who return defeated.
Laurent Daniel
Enthusiast

Post by Laurent Daniel »

Hi, everybody,
We aren't yet at 11 November 2006, but, as the thread is revived, my little contribution.

Quite often, I hear statements about "Why? Why so many deads, so many morally or physically wounded for life?"

IMHO, the remembrance of the 2 tragedies of WW1 and WW2 allowed, at last, eventually, something to happen that was impossible to dream about before.

THAT:

Note the mixed German/French flags on the coffin.
Note the German Chancellor and the French President hands in hands.

At last!

That's why your comrades and other soldiers fell, Haen.
That's why you and the other vets are deeply marked forever in their bodies and their soul.
For me to live in peace with my German friends of United Europe.
Thanks to all of you, from all countries.
Regards
Daniel Laurent
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

nice pics Daniel, when where they taken? Some quite moving comments here. :( :up:
Laurent Daniel
Enthusiast

Post by Laurent Daniel »

Hi Helmut,
Those Pix of German Chancellor Helmut Kohl and French President Francois Mitterand where taken at Douaumont, in Verdun battlefield, on 22 September 1984.
You have to know that the Verdun battlefield was the theater of the worst butchery of WW1 and is remembered as such both in France and Germany : About 300,000 Germans and 350,000 French died there from 21 February to 19 Decembre 1916. Approx. figures, nobody will never really know.
Regards
Daniel Laurent