Richard von Weizacker former german president

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

canon

Richard von Weizacker former german president

Post by canon »

Was he a member of the german Grossdeutschland divison? I have tried to find some information about Weizackers military career via google, but infos are extremely rare.

Please if someone knows more, let me know someting about his last rank, division, medals and for what, east- or west front and how was he surrendered. He returned to germany in late 1947. Is this right?

Thanks in advance
cordially
canon
Alecci

Post by Alecci »

I know that Richard von Weizsäcker served in the General Staff under the Quartermaster-General during the spring of 1942, and from November 1943 to January 1944 he was adjutant of the 9th Potsdam Infantry Regiment and served on the Eastern Front. During all this time he is referred to as a Lieutenant (Oberleutnant), and once he is also referred to as a Baron (Freiherr)?

He assisted Colonel (GS) Claus Graf von Stauffenberg in getting Captain Axel Freiherr von dem Bussche-Streithorst sent home from the front in order to participate in a planned assassination attack against Adolf Hitler. In spite of this he was no active member of the resistance, merely a supporter of it.
With kind regards
Alecci Lioncross
Stefan
Banned

Post by Stefan »

Richard Freiherr von Weizsäckers last rank was Hauptmann d.R. He was wounded in Ostpreußen in April 1945 and was in a hospital near Potsdam at the war's end. He was immediately released and began to study law and history in the fall of the same year.
Piett

Post by Piett »

Didnt one of his brothers got killed on day 1 of WWII?