Favourite Knights Cross Action

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

M.Wittmann
Supporter

Post by M.Wittmann »

Panzer Mooyman wrote:"Gerardus Mooyman:

Sturmann Gerardus Mooyman, became the first West European volunteer to receive the Knight's Cross decoration after singlehandedly destroying 13 Soviet tanks in one day in February 1943.

On 13 February 1943 a 20-year old Dutchman single-handedly knocked out 13 Soviet tank's with his French made PaK 97/38 during the attack in the Lake Ladoga area. Gerardus Mooyman a volunteer with the Waffen-SS Freiwilligen-Legion Niederlands became the first non-German to be awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. By his own admission however Gerardus was a rather unenthusiastic soldier and was sulking in a bunker when the Soviet forces attacked. A German officer attached to the Dutch Legion practically dragged him out by his ear and the angry young Dutchman vented his fury on the advancing Soviet armour."

There's also a story Mooyman singlehanded destroyed a soviet cannon the night before the 13th. The Soviets were dugging in an anti-tank cannon after the first wave of attacks were repelled by the Dutch. Mooyman crawled to the position and placed some explosions.

The last story is a bit in contrast with his actions on the 13th. I hope someone has a better source and can clear this out.

(looking forward to read this thread :) )
First of all I like this thread, thanks Kameraden
For now I toatally agree with Mooyman :wink:

+ Ustuf. Kurt Schumacher - RK 04 May 1944

Destroyed 13 T34's in one day, 11 of them in one action during the
Tscherkassy outbreak. Recieved the RK and was promoted to
Hstuf and Kompanie-fuhrer 3./PzReg 5. He is MIA since the battles in
Hungary 1945.

+ Ostuf. Karl Nicolussi-Leck - RK 09 April 1944

As Kompanie-fuhrer 8./PzReg 5 he tried to reach Kowel. Was given
orders to return, but ignored them. He had a choice between suc-
ceeding or failure which could give him a RK or courtmartial. He
and 5 other Panthers reached Kowel and its commander Gfuh. Gille
who was CO of 5.SS-PzDiv at the time. Nicolussi-Leck was awarded
the RK and Gille the brilliants to his RK eichenlaub with schwerten.

Still searching for more :wink:
"Klagt nicht, kämpft!"

Wanted:
Info about 5.SS-Pz(Gren)Div 'Wiking' and the dutch Waffen-SS volunteers.
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

My personal favorite RK action is Ernst Barkmann's one tank stand with his Panther in Normandy in late July 1944. I suppose it's too well known to repeat here.

Yours,
Paul
duncan
Supporter

Post by duncan »

An interesting way to find out that you have been awarded an honour!

At the moment I cannot tell you how he earned his RK, (it was in an engagement in the West) but Batallion Kommander Oberstleutnant Dr Maus heard that he had been awarded the RK, on a radio news broadcast, towards the end of November 1941, just after an engagement at Istra, in the attack on Moscow.

Duncan
leopard 2
Supporter

Minute of silence please...

Post by leopard 2 »

let me try to translate you something I've read in a book on Stalingrad... I don't know if this man has benn awarded with the RK, certainly not, but he deserves much more than a medal...
(note: attention: approximate english!)

"There were 33 men, the last injured soldiers from a help-point south from Gumrak... They took the last plane by assaut, their last chance to survive. The plane could contain 16 men... 24 went in. The last stood in the cold snow... In the plane, men were huddling, the ones on the others... Although, 9 were still outside. They threw material out of the plane... 3 were still outside...they threw the ammunitions, dressing bangades out of the plane... still 2 outside. The pilot could no more leave his seat. He asked hismesl if the plane would take off. The forelast injured pulled him up on three of his comrades. In the snow, the 33rd injured was laying, his knees out of order, snow was falling around him...

Do you what it means, being 22 years old and having a last chance to survive when, for weeks, you've not washed yourself, you've not eaten much more than a old piece of bread, some carrots, water and snow, and when the cold wind lashes you against the figure and cold is 35 under zero? If you don't know, you wont't be able to judge the act of this caporal from Iselhorn, who jumped off the plane, went to the last man and told him: "My man, mes both arms are dead, but you can't walk any more. Take my place."
Some of his comrades went off the plane, took the last guy and laid him into the plane. [...] They took off finally. [...] On a little snow-covered mound of the Gumrak airport, the lonely caporal [...] look the plane fly away. For him, the pilot did an honorary round-fly. Later, the pilot should say that he had never seen so a lonely man than this motionless caporal, on a snow-covered mound near the cote 462 who was regarding the sky. The only colour that was distinguishable was the one of his blood who had become brown on the dressing bandages around his arms.
If the caporal would have liked to do a sign with the hand to say good-bye, he couldn't even have done it."

Sorry for the translation...
Don't konw if this story is real (I don't see why it wouldn't be real). This story is beautiful. Respect, and a minute of silence for this hero
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Leopard2

That is a very moving story. I can only imagine how lonely that man must of felt, standing there by himself. He must have known that his chances of getting out were now zero. That's the kind of guy I'd like to meet just for the honor of shaking his hand.

"Greater love hath no man than to give up his life for another."

cheers
reb
M.Wittmann
Supporter

Post by M.Wittmann »

M.Wittmann wrote:
First of all I like this thread, thanks Kameraden
For now I toatally agree with Mooyman :wink:

+ Ustuf. Kurt Schumacher - RK 04 May 1944

Destroyed 13 T34's in one day, 11 of them in one action during the
Tscherkassy outbreak. Recieved the RK and was promoted to
Hstuf and Kompanie-fuhrer 3./PzReg 5. He is MIA since the battles in
Hungary 1945.

+ Ostuf. Karl Nicolussi-Leck - RK 09 April 1944

As Kompanie-fuhrer 8./PzReg 5 he tried to reach Kowel. Was given
orders to return, but ignored them. He had a choice between suc-
ceeding or failure which could give him a RK or courtmartial. He
and 5 other Panthers reached Kowel and its commander Gfuh. Gille
who was CO of 5.SS-PzDiv at the time. Nicolussi-Leck was awarded
the RK and Gille the brilliants to his RK eichenlaub with schwerten.

Still searching for more :wink:
Fritz Klingenberg's act of bluff:

Driving into Belgrade, threatning to destroy the town complete, unless it will surrender immediatly. He said his German division (2.SS 'Das Reich') was lying just outside the city.
The truth was, his unit was only 10 men strong. IMO a daring action!
For this action he was rewarded the Ritterkreuz.
"Klagt nicht, kämpft!"

Wanted:
Kameraden
Contributor

Post by Kameraden »

Yeah Klingenbergs RK Action was very impressive.
Belgrade surrendered without Bloodshed.

But he was Bluffing a Civilian(The Mayor of Belgrade) with his armed party.
However if you want to know about Bluff winning a KC then this is a much better example.

Leutnant George Michael.
Location France June 1940

"Reaching the Village Michael and his Motorcyclist found 4 French Pioneers who quickly gave themselves up without a Fight.Then the sound of engine noises appeared from an Easterly Direction.Luckily only 1 Vehicle appeared a Jeep containing a French Major who was overpowered and taken Prisoner.

After Handing the Prisoners back to Troops further down the Line'Michael and his Motorcyclist carried on themselves and turning a bend in the Road found themselves amongst a company of Colored(Not my wording'but quoted from the Book i am copying text from) Senagalese Troops commanded by French Officers.The French opened fire and Michael hurled himself into a Ditch.

Thinking fast he yelled to the French Troops not to fire and he had come to negotiate.The Senagalese Troops obeyed as one of the French Officers walked over and asked how Michael had came by the Battalion Commanders Jeep.

The quick thinking Michael responed that the Germans were holding the commander hostage and he had been sent to negotiate an honourable surrender.Pointing at the Village he had just come from he told the French that German Artillery was positioned there and in 25 minutes would start the bombardment.The French must decide wether to surrender or not.Now the Senior French Officer appear his face a mask of fury'he asked how dare the impertinent German demand surrender and it was he who was the Prisoner.Michael continued to warn the Officer of the horrible consequences of refusal and he could see the Officer start to waver.
He continued behind him was a Cavalry Division whose Units were manoeuvering to surround the french and in a loud voice he demanded "Where is your authority for this sacrifice"
On a Map he indicated his Regimental and Battalion HQ's and insisted that an Honourable Surrender would be no Disgrace.

Michael stated "Lay down your arms and surrender.You will be well treated.The Officers can keep their arms and horses.The wounded will be taken to hospital in Chartres and a certificate will be issued to confirm you only surrendered to save unnecessary bloodshed when faced by an overwhelmingly superior force"

Michael allowed some time to consider while the clock ticked.
There were disagreements with the younger Officers wishing to fight on and break out of the encirclement.The older officers were less rash and convinced a larger German Force awaited them and their Colonial Troops were by no means an elite force'their opinion won through."

Some 500 enemy soldiers were taken prisoner by just 2 soldiers!!!!!!

So Klingenberg made the Mayor of Belgrade surrender the city by bluff with 10 Soldiers.

Michael made 500 armed Soldiers surrender with 2 soldiers.

Who would make the better bluffer over the poker table??
I will show you were the Iron Crosses Grow!
M.Wittmann
Supporter

Post by M.Wittmann »

The one with the best pokerface :?: :wink:

Btw, great example.
"Klagt nicht, kämpft!"

Wanted:
Irish1916

Post by Irish1916 »

I'm amazed that the KC database doesn't have anything about Hans Von Luck (i could be wrong but i think he won his in Normandy for smashing Montys Operation Goodwood)
As well if any of you havn't read his memoirs Panzer Commander i would highly recommend them it's a fantastic book about not only the German soldier at war but about Humanity at war
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Hmm, I'm checking into that, don't know why he isn't listed!
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Re von Luck.

As a Christian, I found myself shamed by von Luck's attitude toward his
Russian captors. He lived the ideal that I spend most of my life failing
to live up to. I found his book very inspirational at that level and informative too. If we could all forgive our enemies and move on maybe this world would simmer down a bit!

I also liked the way he danced around Feuctinger's 'indiscretions' rather
than playing in the mud.

cheers
reb
ericv
Enthusiast

Post by ericv »

Hans-Ulrich von Luck und Witten received the Knight's Cross (and is listed in the database) on 8. 8 1944 according to Gerhard von Seemen.

Hans-Ulrich von Luck received the German Cross in Gold on 2.1.1942.

I think it is the same person. There were more "von Luck und Witten"'s throughout german military history.
LEIBSTANDARTE

Post by LEIBSTANDARTE »

Does any one have any information on these KC holders.

Oberleutnant Alfred Wimmer Heer
KC awarded 16/01/45. 3rd Grenadier reg Oberrhein.

Hauptmann Johann Wimmer.
KC awarded 28/01/45. Fallschrimpanzer Corps HG.

Oberfeldwebel Friedrich Wimmer Heer.
KC awarded 30/09/44. 8th Grenadier Reg 277 Infanterie Division.

If any one has any info at all it would be greatly appricated.
Thank you.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Gentlemen!

Interesting thread that has been dormant for a while. Very moving examples of audacity, heroism and not least skill on the battlefield. Since the total domination of Heer and Waffen-SS, I think it's time promote the Jagdfliegers of the Luftwaffe and doing this with a maybe less known (Autrian) pilot...

Oberfeldwebel Hubert Straßl born May 24, 1918 in Linz, Österreich and killed July 8, 1943 during the Battle of Kursk while serving with the 8./JG 51 "Mölders". Here is his story as qouted from "The German Fighter units over Russia" by Werner Held (1990):
One pilot of the 8th Staffel of JG 51 stood out particularly in the great aerial battles in the Kursk area. He was Oberfeldwebel Hubert Strassl. In the afternoon and evening of July 5, 1943 he shot down 15 enemy planes south of Orel. On July 6 he brought down ten more enemies plus two on July 7 and three on July 8. Then the exhausted pilot had to parachute out of his plane, but the parachute did not open on account of the low altitude. Oberfeldwebel Strassl was posthumously honored with the Knight's Cross on November 12, 1943.
Taking into consideration the improved quality of both Russian pilots and aircrafts in 1943, the task of shooting down 30 enemy aircraft in just four days under intense aerial combat in the skies above the Kursk battlefield is very impressive!

Hubert Straßl
http://www.das-ritterkreuz.de

Regards,

Krollspell
Last edited by Doktor Krollspell on Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
max painless
Under Review

yes

Post by max painless »

25 in 2, is an even more impressive way to look at it! Who was the highest scoring german ace, and does he have an autobiography?