Werner Poetschke at Stoumont December 19, 1944

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Wolfkin
Associate

Werner Poetschke at Stoumont December 19, 1944

Post by Wolfkin »

There is an event that happened during the battle around Stoumont on December 19, 1944 that I am wondering about. It is in regards to Sturmbannfuhrer Werner Poetschke, commander of I/SS Panzer Regiment 1. Here is what I am talking about:

http://www.geocities.com/wolfram55/ardennes.html

Specifically this part from the above link:

"12:00 : The first attack on Stoumont failed, they came under tremendous artillery fire, and Peiper pulled back to just before La Gleize.

Pötschke ordered a second assault sometime later, but the artillery was still raining down. He ordered Christ (2.Pz.Kp.) to advance, but he simply shook his head. Pötschke grabbed a Panzerfaust and pointed it to Christ and told him again to advance. He refused again. Pötschke positioned himself in front of the first Panther, aimed the Panzerfaust at the vehicle and ordered forwards, into the hail of artillery. The engine started, and the Panther moved towards the village, with shells raining down left and right. It entered the village, even made it to the church, but 200 m from the station a blast from the 90 mm AA stopped it. The 11.Kp. attacked from the south, on foot, while the other Panther attacked from the road. Some Americans surrendered, others retreated and the village was taken, at the cost of one damaged Panther. The Americans had disabled the 90mm gun before they fled. Peiper chased the fleeing Americans immediatly with 5 Panther."

I am wondering, did Poetschke really do that? This is not in Lehmann's book on the Leibstandarte. If Poetschke needed to "motivate" the troops in this way then I would consider this an important event. Does anyone know anything more on this event? Thank you in advance!

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
heinz kling

Werner Poetschke

Post by heinz kling »

There are stills captured from a film clip of Poetschke picking up a Panzerfaust, though I am not sure whether he's aiming at the Amis or his own. I don't recall that incident from Agte's book though.
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Hey Heinz!

That is interesting, that this event is not mentioned in Agte's book. In Leibstandarte Volume IV/2 I believe there is a still of the film you are talking about. It shows Poetschke walking toward a Panzerfaust on the ground, there is a mixed section of Fallschirmjager/SS Panzergrenadier setting up a MG in the background as well there is smoke coming from a burning vehicle.

I believe the vehicle may be a knocked out Panther as there is another still, maybe from the same film, showing two Panther in column formation, with the lead one knocked out and smoking. Interesting! Could this event be true? Did Poetschke grab that Panzerfaust and walk over to the other Panthers and "motivate" them?

All it says in Leibstandarte Volume IV/2 is this:

"It was not until Sturmbannfuhrer Poetschke, commander of I/SS Pz Rgt 1, personally joined in that the attack was resumed."

The question is, what was the extent of his personal involvement? This is all very interesting and hopefully we can solve this! Thank you for your info!

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

The story comes from the late Gerd Cuppens and can be found in his book "Massacre in Malmédy: Kampfgruppe Peiper in the Ardennes". I guess he got the info from the LAH veterans he interviewed for this book.
Former member
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Hey Timo!

Thank you for the information!

So, that is where this comes from. That is why this is not very well known, as only the guys in the immediate area would have seen or known about this. This must be true as I do not believe a veteran would make something like this up! Frightened tank crews needing "motivation" is not the usual "war story"!

It is good to see that this could be true as it destroys some of those myths of the "fanatical SS troops of the Leibstandarte". It shows that they were normal men too and could become frightened. Poetschke did what he had to do and I don't believe he would have fired on his own men, it was just to get them going. Much like Meyer in Greece in 1941 with the grenade.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Simon H
Associate

stoumont

Post by Simon H »

Hello Timo,
The PK footage taken at Stoumont clearing shows Poetschke bending down to pick up a PzFaust as a couple of FJ set up an MG 42 besides the Robinson house.

However this footage was shot after Christs Panther moved down the street and was blown up.

Did Poetschke threaten him, throw the weapon down, only to pick it up again??

By the way, a Police Station now occupies the area where this event took place.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

I never made any link between the footage and the story as told by Cuppens. I only pointed out the source of the "Panzerfaust story".
Former member
Simon H
Associate

Stoumont December '44

Post by Simon H »

Hello Timo,
No I know you didn't make the link, I did. I will look out my copy of Cuppens book, which is quite a good read (takes a while - did Heinemann ever do an English language version - mines French)?

I can't recall the Poetschke threatening Christ with the PzFaust, the cine footage just seems to add some credence to it, whether it happened or not I guess doesn't really matter.

Cheers
Simon
Simon Harrold

Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

I only know there's a German, a French and a Dutch version.

The Panzerfaust story can be found on page 64 (German version). His source was most probabely Hennecke.
Former member
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Hmmmmm...

I was under the impression that, if it did happen, Poetschke did his "motivating" after the first Panther was hit because he did it to get the attack going again after it was stopped.

The smoking Panther in the background is not Christ's Panther but a different one. Some of the info in the above link is incorrect, I believe, because I have read several accounts of this event (albeit, only one mentioning the incident with Poetschke) and basically this is what I have:

-The 2nd Kompanie Panthers approach Stoumont early on 19 December, about 9am, under the cover of the morning mist, as they enter the outskirts of the town the lead Panther is hit by an anti-tank gun.

-The attack stalls after this but some SS Panzergrenadier and Fallschirmjager dig-in in the area.

-Poetschke orders the attack to continue and orders the other Panthers forward, apparently this is when he does his "motivating".

-The attack continues and captures Stoumont then continues on to the Railway Station, Targon, 3km to the West, but is repulsed with the loss of Christ's Panther and two others.

-Peiper then orders the advance elements to withdraw from the Railroad Station and concentrate in Stoumont.

I believe, that perhaps, the above link confuses the sequence of events and combines the attack on the village of Stoumont and the Railway Station together as one. See this from the above:

"It entered the village, even made it to the church, but 200 m from the station a blast from the 90 mm AA stopped it."

Notice it says..."200 meters from the station"

So, Christ's Panther is not the first one knocked out, and it wasn't knocked out in Stoumont, it was knocked out when they reached the Railway Station. The above account may be correct on the "Poetschke incident" but it mixes up the attack on Stoumont and the Railway Station.

I could be wrong with this account and am open to corrections. This is a condensed version that combines info from The Leibstandarte Volume IV/2, Ardennes 1944: Peiper And Skorzeny and the above link. Each version differs slightly, I have noticed. Heehee..isn't that the way things always are? :D

Anyways, if any of y'all could correct me or maybe I got it right, I dunno, let's see if'n w'all can figure this one out! :D 8) :wink:

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

Wolkin, you are quite right that it wasn't actually Christs own tank but another 2 Kompanie Panther.

Timo, I dug out my copy of Cuppens book and on page 64-65 it does indeed mention the attack at 9am, as stated earlier. also the Poetschke/Christ incident with the Panzerfaust. It's not really clear whether the Panther was knocked out before or after the threatening scene - the attack appeared to have already stalled due to heavy AA fire from the US 90mm.

For everyones info the book details are:
Massacre A Malmedy?
Ardennes: 17 December 1944
Author: Gerd J. Gust Cuppens
Printed by Editions Heimdal (not Heinemann as I said earlier).

My apologies for any confusion caused :oops:
Simon Harrold

Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Hey Simon!

Thank you for the information! It helps out with painting a picture of what happened. No need to apologize, I wasn't sure if I understood the events correctly or not, I just decided to combine all the accounts I have read and to paint my own picture. Thanks again!

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Simon H
Associate

Re: Werner Poetschke at Stoumont December 19, 1944

Post by Simon H »

Resurrecting an old thread again, sorry...
I've produced a piece for my own site on the part that DSC winner Albert Darago played in the battle for Stoumont.

http://www.lerenfort.fsnet.co.uk/page8aN.htm

The Panther that Darago is credited with was destroyed before Poetschke grabbed the Panzerfaust. It's an interesting event to examine as it was photographed and filmed at the time. Your comments are welcome.

Kind Regards,
Simon.
Simon Harrold

mconrad

Post by mconrad »

Thank you for the information regarding Darago's and Seaman's well-deserved DSCs.

But it begs the question, what was the 90mm battery doing at this time? With firepower like that, why were they sending out artillerymen as bazooka teams on near-suicidal missions?
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

mconrad wrote:Thank you for the information regarding Darago's and Seaman's well-deserved DSCs.

But it begs the question, what was the 90mm battery doing at this time? With firepower like that, why were they sending out artillerymen as bazooka teams on near-suicidal missions?
Given that the enemy had closed upon the US positions the battery could not open fire at such a short distance, initially they were able to fire but once the infantry came in they were ostensibly fighting a close combat battle in the streets and gardens of Stoumont.

As you say both men richly deserve their DSC's. As an aside it is worth noting that the Battle of the Bulge saw many acts of gallantry and courage in combat on both sides by junior ranks. When the fighting is toughest, then the acts of gallantry are many.

Best Wishes,
Simon.
Simon Harrold