General Georg Stumme

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Helmut
Patron

General Georg Stumme

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
Georg Stumme commanded the XL Pz Korps until relieved over the Reichel Affair in which plans for the German summer offensive were caprued from a staff officer who ws not supposed to have the plans. This happend on 19 June 1942. According to Glantz, Stumme was still in command in early July. Does anyone know what the date of his relif was. Is seems strange that it would take 2 weeks for the relief to happen.
:?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Helmut
Alanmccoubrey
Contributor

Re: General Georg Stumme

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

XXXX Panzer Korps didn't exist until 9th July 1942 when it was renamed from Stumme's XXXX Armeekorps (mot) . The first commander of XXXX Panzerkorps was General der Panzertruppen Leo Freiherr Geyr von Schweppenburg and he took over command on 20th July 1942. Lexikon der Wehrmacht says that Stumme was in command of XXXX AK only until the 9th July.
Alan
genstab
Contributor

Post by genstab »

Lexikon, like Axis History Factbook, isn't always accurate. I can throw in another source, Bender's Panzertruppe book, which may not be any more accurate but he says Stumme was in command until 20 July. Someone may have the HPA commander assignments for the Corps or either officer's HPA card from NARA- that might shed additional light. Bradley may or may not be more accurate than any of the other sources, but of course it hasn't been published as far as Stumme- and may never be. Wish I could give you more.

Best,
Genstab
Best regards,
Genstab

Where liberty dwells, there is my country.
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
Thank you for the information.

Yes, I know that the corps was redesidgated at that time. I just referred to it as a PZK for the sake of brevity. My point was, Stumme was a key player in the violation of a fuehrerbefehl and was relieved over it.That much is fact. I would have thought his relief of command would have been rather soon after the fact and nthat he would not have been in command almost 20 days after the incident. So, my question remains, when was he relieved of command?

Regards,

Helmut
genstab
Contributor

Post by genstab »

Not to belabor the point, but when itler fired Hoth at 4th Panzerarmee, it took an awful long time to get his replacement there. He was actually in command until 3-12-43, long after most records indicate. Could be the same with Stumme.

Best,
Bill in CLeveland
Best regards,
Genstab

genstab
Contributor

Post by genstab »

German HPA documents are famous for giving the date a general was ORDERED to command a unit and that's the date we usually find in the secondary sources. The best way to find when he actually took command is the unit's Kriegstagesbuch.

Best,
Bill in Cleveland
Best regards,
Genstab

tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; a picture........................

Georg Stumme (* July 29, 1886, Halberstadt - † October 24, 1942, near El Alamein).

Source: https://archiwum.allegro.pl/oferta/3-rz ... 33130.html

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Attachments
image370.jpg
image370.jpg (18.39 KiB) Viewed 7510 times
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.