Friedrich von Paulus - children ??

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Dale
Supporter

Friedrich von Paulus - children ??

Post by Dale »

I have heard that one of von Paulus's (Stalingrad fame) descendants may live near me. I have no desire to bother him but I was curious if anyone had any information on whether or not he had any children...I know his wife passed away in 1949 and they were not reunited because von Paulus was a prisoner in Russia.
I have a student in one of my classes who believes she may be a descendant -- I was hoping to help her make a connection...She says her grandparents will actually get a little bothered if she tries to ask them...another reason I feel there may be a connection.
Bottom line -- I have a history student who is very interested and wants to know more and she actually may have a personal connection.
So...if anyone knows anything I'd appreciate hearing the info.

Thanks -
Dale
morgan

Re: Friedrich von Paulus - children ??

Post by morgan »

Hello,

It's Friedrich Paulus NOT von Paulus :roll:

Morgan
Dale
Supporter

Post by Dale »

Ok - thanks for the correction...
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Dale:
Paulus had three children with his Romanian wife, Elena "Coca" Rosetti-Solescu: Olga born in 1914, and Friedrich and Alexander, twins, born in 1918. Friedrich was killed at Anzio. Alexander was wounded at Stalingrad and apparently was flown out of the Kessel before its fall, because he was later arrested by the Gestapo after his father started to cooperate with the Soviets. He apparently survived the war. That is about all I have at the moment, but I may have more in old notes somewhere. Keep us posted on what your student finds out. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Dale
Supporter

Post by Dale »

John,
Thanks for that -- it is very cool to think that she may be connected. She is 15 and told me that she had heard something about being possibly related...her father knew a few things - but her grandfather "always gets angry" - or "disturbed" about it when the subject is brought up. I've encouraged her to try and be as tactful as possible and tell him that we are currently studying WWII in class - and to express her curiosity to him.
Hopefully something will come of it --
I will post any info I can find out....
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

The thing that frustrates me about adults these days is that they do not jump on any expressions of a child's interest in things other than Lady Gaga, their "sexual identity", or their wardrobe!! Here we have a child interested in her family's history, and there is reluctance in her family to help her. At her age she is certainly old enough to understand the nuances of German history and the fact that bad is not always all bad, and good is not always all good. This is a chance to get a youth out of a state of self-obsession and perhaps open a whole new, and possibly life-changing, world to her. Do the best you can Dale and good luck :wink:
John W. Howard
Dale
Supporter

Post by Dale »

That is the best part of teaching...when the kids are interested and ask for more, more, more !! You'd be amazed at the connections I have been informed of - and the interest from the 14,15,16 year old students in the history of this nation and the world based on their family connections !! Keeps it very interesting for me as well...
Thanks for the good words John !
Dale
PA. Dutchman
Supporter

Post by PA. Dutchman »

I just rented a documentary and the Camp Commandant Amon Goeth from the Death Camp in Schinder's List had a daughter.

Her mother kept her father's identity from her for many years, only telling her that her father was killed in the war.

When she found out, and she is in the documentary and speaks for herself, she had a hard time dealing with it all. She did not want to believe he did these things, however her Grandparents told her it was true.

Before this other children of Nazi leaders lived in her village and no one bothered with them very much. After finding out who her father was she became one of these children.

I am not sure she would want to be contacted, she made the documentary and that is pretty much her voice now for being the daughter of Amon Goeth I will try to find the name of the documentary and post it.

Here is a link to the story of Amon Goeth's daughter finding herself and finding who her father had been.

http://www.pbs.org/pov/inheritance/film_description.php
Sincerely yours,
PA.Dutchman