Martin Bormann

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Helmut
Patron

Martin Bormann

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
I have been reading IAN Kershaw's book THE END. He mentions that Martin Bormann died by taking cyanide after a faied attempt to get out of Berlin at the end. There have been so many accounts about the death of Bormann. Last I heard was that his skeletal remains were found in Berlin about 20 years years ago with evidence of a bullet wound to the back of the head. I would like to know if there is any other reference to the cyanide. Kershaw has almost 200 pages of footnotes in the book but does not reference this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Helmut
Simon H
Associate

Re: Martin Bormann

Post by Simon H »

True that Bormanns remains, as well as remains attributed as being Ludwig Stumpfegger were located near to the site of the Weidendammer bridge in the 1990's. I don't recall any reference to a bullet wound to the skull, but the skull remains did apparently include some glass, consistent with him having bitten a cyanide capsule.

No one will ever know thr whole truth, but there is enough evidence to conclude that he took his own life, knowing that escape was impossible - whether he was wounded or the other traumatic injuries were post mortem is up for conjecture.

The Battle for Berlin, Then and Now includes a good account of the escape from the Führer bunker, as well as Trude Junges book.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Simon,

Thank you for your response. It makes sense. I am truly in awe of what modern forensic science can do.

Thanks again.

REgards,

Helmut
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

The forensic evidence was based upon dental work he'd had done and I think evidence of an earlier fracture to the skull as the result of a horse riding accident.

Regards,
Simon.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Thank you so much!!
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

I'm not sure, but there might be a small bit of info about Bormann in 'The last days of Hitler' by Joachimsthaler.
Always in need for info about: Dutchmen in the NSKK, HJ and TeNo.
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Thanks, Alex. I'll check it out

Regards,

Helmut