General Huttner

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

alan newark
Supporter

General Huttner

Post by alan newark »

Hi, Feldies...Best wishes to all and a request for help

As older Feldgrau users will know I have, since 1989, been researching the 1945 mutiny and partisan campaign on the Dutch island of Texel of the Wehrmacht's 822 Georgia Infantry Battalion.

Part of that research has, when I have had some spare moments, looked at the nearby mainland port and Kreigsmarine base of Den Helder and its local Festung Stamm unit, at Beverwijk and at the 163rd Marine Schutzen Regiment, the 800-strong unit which chiefly countered the Texel rebellion.

I have yet to find War Diaries or other Texel Mutiny - related documents of these units. Feldgrau.com lists local Marine Artillerie and Flak abteilungs, some elements of which would have participated in shelling of Texel. I have that information but, again, no War Diaries or other mutiny information from these units.

Documenbts relating to Den Helder and Texel from the German 88 Korps and 30 Korps and to Kreigsmarine archives are ever welcome.

A Canadian website recently provided the gem that in May 1945 the local area commander was a Genereal Huttner. I have conducted widespread Internet research but can find nothing relating to Huttner or his role in the Den Helder area.

Can members help with any kind of information? Receiprocal research guaranteed.

Besten..Alan Newark
www.dpcamps.org (1st Vice-President)
Jerry
Associate

Re: General Huttner

Post by Jerry »

Alan,

This is the Hüttner entry in Keilig, hope it is of some help.

Jerry
Attachments
Hüttner copy.jpg
Hüttner copy.jpg (36.32 KiB) Viewed 4475 times
When you're in command..... command!
alan newark
Supporter

Post by alan newark »

Jerry

Ooops..forgive me. I somehow overlooked your message and its welcome contents. Magic..gripping stuff and I will sniff around for more.

Seems that Hutner was a busy man....:->

Also, in May 1945 he dropped into the HQ, in Beverwijk near Den Helder, of one of the two RCA regiments known to have their HQs in that town....but was reportedly disappointed to find that none of the three top Canadian officers he had hoped to see was present. 'Huttner' was described as the German 'area commander'.

I can now name 3 Canadian line units based in the Beverwijk-Den Helder-Texel-Vlieland area in May 1945 and dealing with the largely Kreigsmarine - commanded German forces in that vicinity. There must surely have been more local Canadian units. I have a list of several German units in the area and am keen to know where best to seek War Diaries. The overall Canadian command formation was 1st Canadian Corps and the Canadian artillery units came under the operational command of 4 AGRA.

Also..this for Mad Dog..I'd be interested in the 88 Korps War Diary/Ops Log for any part of the time in which it was responsible for the Den Helder-Texel-other islands? Certainly for December 1944 and January 1945

For other users..anything from 30 Korps HQ and its subordiante units relating to the above area?

Thanks to all and best regards in our respective searches.

Al:->
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Allan!

Here's a link to a short bio on Hüttner (although you probably know of it already)...

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Per ... erHans.htm

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
alan newark
Supporter

Post by alan newark »

Hola und Guten nacht, Herr Doktor

Muchos gracias por your much welcome Lexicon inofrmation about General Huttner.

I'd forgotten to ask about it so great help from you.

Raises the question, listen up guys:->, of how far along the North West Holland coast Festung Ijmuiden's command extended?

Two of the three Canadian regiments Im looking at had various roles in Den Helder, a large fishing and naval port, but seem to have been based in nearby Beverwijk. Some of the local German units listed in one Canadian War Diary were also, I know from past knowledge, also active in and around Den Helder. Yet there was a separate Festung Den Helder and a Den Helder Festung Kadre and Schift-stamm unit.

Anyone got any ideas or knowledge as to where the two Festungs' boundaries were and who commanded the Festung Den Helder in January - May 1945?

Anyone got access to the Festung Ijmuiden HQ War Diary or Ops Log for 06 April - late 1945? Anyone know where to find Huttner's personal papers

alan newark
Supporter

Post by alan newark »

Addenda

I should have written 'some of the local Beverwijk German units'

Also..I have registered with a German naval warfare forum and maybe our German kameraden can shed light on my queries?
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

http://www.maddog.gionpeters.com/welcome.html

LXXXVIII records end in early Jan, 1945. 25th Army files go into 45, but are only a few pages. Not sure about XXX Corps. HrsGp H is a total bust unless the British have some of their files.

Mad Dog