Rudel - cause of death?

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Lascap

Rudel - cause of death?

Post by Lascap »

I am somewhat surprised that such a physically active and fit - and optimistic - man died so prematurely (at age 66).

Does anyone know the cause of death?
Dale
Supporter

Re: Rudel - cause of death?

Post by Dale »

From what I remember -- he had lost a leg in the war -- but once he had the time to stop flying and allow his leg to properly heal I think he was rather physically fit. Sometime after the war he had a stroke but I don't remember how close that was to the end.
Lascap

Post by Lascap »

He did lose part of a leg, but he flew again shortly after. Also, he climbed all kinds of high mountains afterwards, and played tennis. He leg had nothing to do with anything. Didn't know about the stroke. Did he gain weight? What happened?
Dale
Supporter

Post by Dale »

I know his leg was not the cause...and I'm not sure about any other details...but I definately remember he had a stroke. I haven't looked elsewhere online but it must be availble to find.
dusty825

Post by dusty825 »

I am sure the war took a toll on him, he was a avid sportsman after the war, but he could have suffered from high blood pressure or something else, it isn't all that uncommon to see people die in their 50's