Friherr von Weichs

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Helmut
Patron

Friherr von Weichs

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
Can someone please tell me the inclusive dates of von Weichs command of 2 Armee. I am getting conflicting sources. Most sources show him giving up comman of 2 Arm in 1943 but Vopersal in SOLDATEN, KAEMPFER, KAMERADEN says he was still in command in August '44. Also,he says that von Weichs was stil a Gerneraloverst at that time when other sources show him as having been promoted in '43.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Helmut
Jerry
Associate

Post by Jerry »

Helmut,

Weichs left command of AOK 2 on July 13, 1942 and became Oberbefehlshaber Heeresgruppe B on July 15, 1942. Weichs was promoted to GFM on Feb 1, 1943, and was Ob. HG F & Ob. Sudost from August 26, 1943 until March '45.

Jerry
When you're in command..... command!
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus Jerry,
That's what I have too but Vopersal in the above mentioned book continually mentions von Weichs as being in command of 2nd Army in July '44. And it's not just once, there are continuous refereences made. His history is otherwise fairly accurate with a lot if info so I just wanted to check my facts.

Thanks for the verification

Regards.

Helmut
Jerry
Associate

Post by Jerry »

Hey Helmut,

Perhaps its not careless research but just a typo, as GO Weiß was Ob. 2 Armee for much of '43 and all of '44.

Jerry
When you're in command..... command!
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

AHHHH, that's probably it. I never even thought about the Weichs vs Weiss situation. Thanks for the insight.

Helmut
tigre
Patron

Re: Friherr von Weichs

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; a little more ............................

General der Kavallerie Reichsfreiherr Maximilian von Weichs in Lodz 1939.

Source: Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-2008-0922-502,_Lodz,_Einzug_deutscher_Truppen.jpg.

Cheers. Raul M 8).
Attachments
German troops in Lodz (September 9, 1939). The general commander of the XIII. AK General der Kavallerie Maximilian von Weichs chairs the parade of his troops .....................................
German troops in Lodz (September 9, 1939). The general commander of the XIII. AK General der Kavallerie Maximilian von Weichs chairs the parade of his troops .....................................
image037.jpg (31.3 KiB) Viewed 3964 times
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.
tigre
Patron

Re: Friherr von Weichs

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; a little more ............................

Generaloberst Reichsfreiherr von Weichs in Belgrade 1941.

Source:
http://www.germanautographs.de/home/med ... rkreuz.jpg

Cheers. Raul M 8).
Attachments
Generaloberst Frhr. von Weichs (2. AOK) returning in a motor boat from the northern bank of the Danube - Belgrade 1941 ..........................
Generaloberst Frhr. von Weichs (2. AOK) returning in a motor boat from the northern bank of the Danube - Belgrade 1941 ..........................
image005.png (329.27 KiB) Viewed 3873 times
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.