Biography of Meinrad von Lauchert

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Jerry
Associate

Post by Jerry »

Hey Frederick, long time no "see"!

I've always been under the impression that when Strachwitz was wia that Schmidtgen moved up to take his place in command of the Brig. and Lauchert took Schmidtgen place in command of PB101, and when Schmidtgen was kia that lauchert moved up to command of the Brig. and Wartenberg took his place in command of PB101. Apparently that wasn't the case, or was it? You don't mention that specifically in your timeline above.

Jerry
When you're in command..... command!
Frederick L Clemens
Associate

Post by Frederick L Clemens »

Hey Jerry,

That's a good working theory, but we will have to see as more pieces of the puzzle are asembled. One problem is that Panzer-Verband Strachwitz/Lauchert got shifted around between Army Groups, Armies, and Corps in a relatively short period of time. Plus you have the complicating factor of SS Pz Brig Gross.
I have a lot of the pieces, now it is time to assemble them.

One very annoying thing is that the US microfilming of German records was slimmed down after it was originally started. Microfilms of low number Korps like I.AK have files from the IIa/b which include officer rosters from subordinated units. Those IIa/b files were later dropped in favor of concentrating on the operational and logistic files like Ia and QM.

In this way, the BAMA records may have more answer on personnel assignments than the NARA records.
Hansen

Post by Hansen »

Hello Frederick,

First, let me tell you that, I appreciate the excellent work you do on this topic.
Secondly, I searched the chronicle of PanzerRegiment 15 "Ihr Glaube galt dem Vaterland", and found out that Von Lauchert commanded PR15 from August 1st 1943 until August 1st 1944.
I guess, you already knew that, but what's more, I couldn't find anything on Wartenberg.
I believe, you stated Wartenberg was AbteilungKdr./PR15 at some point, but although several successive Kdr. are mentioned in the book, Wartenberg is not.

Another thing is, -and this is just my opinion until now-, that Strachwitz and Lauchert never actually commanded Panzerbrigade 101.
They were CO of their PanzerVerband / Kampfgruppe in which PzBrig.101 was subordinated, but they didn't command it as such.

Up until now, I have found out, that in PzBrigs. commanding officers were not replaced with another officer from "outside", but rather from the "inside".
This would mean something like Oberst Schmidtgen commanded first. After he fell, second in command Oberstleutnant Wartenburg (probably CO PanzerGrenBtl.2101) took over, and after his death, Major Breidenbach (CO PzAbt.2101) took over. Only in the end, and after Breidenbach's injury, an "outside" officer, Oberstleutnant Zahn took over.

Well, as I said, just my opinion,
Hans
Frederick L Clemens
Associate

Post by Frederick L Clemens »

Hi Hans,

The PR 15 history is unfortunately not very scientific. There are mistakes in it, even with the names of key officers. It is still a nice book to have (I only have copies of the Lauchert period pages).

I trust the HPA PzTruppe Kartei more than the PR 15 book, so I think Wartenberg was prob in PR 15, but it would be nice to verify that.

Here is more evidence on the PB 101 command assignments:

On 440828, Panzer-Division Lauchert reported the following officer positions and dates of information to II.AK:
Oberst v.Lauchert = Fuehrer of PD vL since 440825, DOI 440825
Oberst Schmidtgen = Kommandeur of PB 101 since 440717, DOI 440822
Oberstleutnant v.Wartenberg = ?Kommandeur? of PB 101, handwritten update so DOI is approx 440828
Major Breidenbach = Kommandeur of PA 2101 since 440502, DOI 440822
Hautpmann H-J Baatz = Kommanduer PGB 2101, DOI 440825

From this we can say that:
- Lauchert did not have intermediate command PB 101 - he went straight into the command of PD vL, formerly PV vStrachwitz. This makes sense since he just came from a DivFhr Lehrgang.
- Wartenberg apparently was an outsider since he was handwritten into the position of Schmidtgen without appearing in any of the other PB 101 subordinate positions. This isn't 100% since there are a few days difference between the DOIs.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Re: Biography of Meinrad von Lauchert

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

*up*

Jan-Hendrik
hawkeye 1

Re: Biography of Meinrad von Lauchert

Post by hawkeye 1 »

Hi Frederick
Through Jan-Hendrik I found out that my Grandfather was with the Pz.Rgt.35 around July 5th.1942.
He was a Hauptmann at that time and Adjutant at the 1./Pz.Rgt.35 under Gruppe von Lauchert .
His Name is Alfred Nähring. Might you have more Information about that Time?
It must have been only a short Time since he went on to command the 1./Pz.Gren.Rgt.33 a short Time after.
Best regards,
Falk