Arbeitsstab von Rundstedt

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

leopard 2
Supporter

Arbeitsstab von Rundstedt

Post by leopard 2 »

hi everybody

I'm searching some infos about this "Stab". I know it has become Heeresgruppenkommando Süd after it has taken charge with AOK 12...
But I would like ton know where it come from... if it was issued from another command (maybe a GenKdo AK?).
Thanks a lot
Skarn
Enthusiast

Post by Skarn »

Arbeitsstab Rundstedt was formed in the second half of August 1939 with only three officers : Rundstedt, its commander, Manstein (chief of staff) and Blumentritt (chief of operations).
Its name was a covername used for deception and to hide the creation of an army group staff near the Polish borders. It received order, on August 24th, to form after the mobilization this Heeresgruppe Süd.

When mobilization was ordered, on August 26th, a first 12. Armee was raised from VIII. Armeekorps staff, and was agregated to Arbeitsstab Rundstedt.

So, Arbeitsstab Rundstedt didn't come from another unit. It was raised from nothing. But it received staff, signal and logistical supports from 12. Armee, created from VIII. Armeekorps.

Please correct me if I made a mistake.

Loic
leopard 2
Supporter

Post by leopard 2 »

Oh, I think I've just understood...

Ok, I'm right now: this staff is formed from nothing... In fact, I didn't know where the AOK 12 came from (VIII.AK). And I didn't know if Staff Rundstedt was a covername of the AOk 12, but that's clear now
Thanks a lot
Skarn
Enthusiast

Post by Skarn »

No, this is not what I've explained.

The Arbeitsstab Rundstedt was formed with only three officers : Rundstedt (I believe he was retired at this time since 1938), Manstein and Blumentritt.

On August 24th 1939, it took order to form after the mobilization Heeresgruppe Süd headquarters.

On August 26th 1939, the 12. Armee was raised from VIII. Armeekorps, and soon subordinated to Arbeitsstab Rundstedt to furnish it support units (staff, signals, logistical means).

I don't know the exact day, but between August 26th and September 1st 1939, this Arbeitsstab, reinforced by 12. Armee, became officially Heeresgruppe Süd.

So Arbeitsstab Rundstedt was not a covername for 12. Armee, it was a different thing. German prepared an army group with covername, because if they didn't, every allied intelligence would have known that German was concentrating their forces to attack Poland and several days plus strategical surprise would have been lost.

Loic