More about the 11th Panzer Division, please...

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

bradleyl30

Re: More about the 11th Panzer Division, please...

Post by bradleyl30 »

Hi,
I am pretty new to this forum as a member, though I have referenced threads before.

I am looking at creating several model Panzers of the 11th Panzer Division, primarily from Operation Typhoon and the famous photographs around Kaluga.

Do members of the forum know any references for how the turret numbering system worked for 11th Panzer / 15th Panzer-regiment? They use two digit stencils, but I am not sure how they numbered across Kompanies and Battalions.

I have definitely found photographic proof of a Panzer IV with turret number 33, but also a definitive Panzer III with turret number 35 and another that appears to also have 33.

Just wondering if anyone has seen anything on this.
bradleyl30

Re: More about the 11th Panzer Division, please...

Post by bradleyl30 »

I ended up stumbling onto a photo of the exact same Panzer III that appeared to have turret number 33 which confirmed it. Still would be interested in any information about how numbering worked for 41-42 for 11th Panzer, but I have what I need for the models I am creating.