StuG, PzJag units in East Prussia'45?

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

donwhite
Contributor

Re: StuG, PzJag units in East Prussia'45?

Post by donwhite »

Kelvin,
Yes 95.ID is correct. 558.VGD had 9x StuG III (all operational as at 15/1/45). 349.VGD has 12(11)x Hetzers, 3 in transit?.
I don't have anything further on the Pz.Jag.Abts (Sf) present beyound a reference to 2/Pz.Jag.Abt.741 with 12x Hetzers(?) 2 in repair 3 in transit(?). s.Pz.Jag.Abt.563 puts in an appearance a few days after the commencement of the Soviet offensive (straight from refitting at Mlava Depot) with 14x Jpz V's, 31x JPz IV's and a further 14x JPz V's also from a newly refitted company of Pz.Jag.Abt.616 attached to it.

Cheers.
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

donwhite wrote:Kelvin,
Yes 95.ID is correct. 558.VGD had 9x StuG III (all operational as at 15/1/45). 349.VGD has 12(11)x Hetzers, 3 in transit?.
I don't have anything further on the Pz.Jag.Abts (Sf) present beyound a reference to 2/Pz.Jag.Abt.741 with 12x Hetzers(?) 2 in repair 3 in transit(?). s.Pz.Jag.Abt.563 puts in an appearance a few days after the commencement of the Soviet offensive (straight from refitting at Mlava Depot) with 14x Jpz V's, 31x JPz IV's and a further 14x JPz V's also from a newly refitted company of Pz.Jag.Abt.616 attached to it.

Cheers.
Hi, Don thank so much for your help. Regarding 349 division, I just want to know the date of her report on strength : 30 Dec or 15 Jan ?

Kelvin
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

Hi, Don your term 38t ( Pak) is refer to Hetzer or Marder III ? Some division with Pz II ( Pak) and I could tell is Marder II but 38t ????
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

Kelvin wrote:Hi, Don your term 38t ( Pak) is refer to Hetzer or Marder III ? Some division with Pz II ( Pak) and I could tell is Marder II but 38t ????
Hi, Don , ignore this question above. I am sure it is Hetzer for 349 division as I find it delivery to 349 division in Oct 1944 in panzer archiv de. The 35. division is Marder as she did not recieve any Hetzer.

But can you reread your notes on 252. division on its operational status and types of vehicles as I have some confusion. ( number and types) ?

And two last questions which I know I bother you too long :

a. 349 division report date : Dec 30 44 or Jan 15 1945 ?

b. All StuG brigades you quoted were all equipped solely with StuG III ? if not , anyone with StuG IV or something else ?

Best regards
Kelvin
donwhite
Contributor

Post by donwhite »

Kelvin,

349 VGD report would appear to be as at 30/12/44.
252.ID 1x StuG IV operational, 2 in repair.
StuG.Brig 278 included 8x StuG IV (7 operational) amongst its holdings. Everything else appears to be StuG III's.(l/43's,L/48's & StuH 42's variants)

Cheers
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

Hello, Don, thank so much for this period. Your data for German army in East Prussia is very helpful to me. :up:

Your data for Panzerlage for Dec 30 1944 and 15 Jan 1945, where I can get it because I want to study strength of StuG Brigades and Panzerjager kompanie of infantry divisoin in German Army Group A and South in the same period, could you give me some advice ?

BTW, some infantry divison failed to report its operational StuG, only report total figures, is your notes not clearly show or that German officers failed to report this operational figures ?

Thank again. Have a nice day ! :D

Kelvin
donwhite
Contributor

Post by donwhite »

Kelvin,

The Panzer/StuG/Jag Panzer Lagereports would be in The Inspector General of Panzertroops files. I have not yet located the 30th Dec'44 file through NARA Guide Rolls for OKH records (but I'm still looking after some near misses). You can download guides to NARA Rolls from the Sturm Panzer website. There is also links to the NARA website and online ordering of micrfilm rolls.

Where a unit records a single figure, my impression is that it represents the total inventory present and also that they are all operational.

Cheers
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

Hi, Don, do you have number of panzerspahwagen in 5. Panzer division on Dec 30 1944 ? by types ?
donwhite
Contributor

Post by donwhite »

Sorry, I do not have that information.

Cheers
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

Hi, Don, do you know Stu.Pz.Kp218 with Brummbar was under the command of Army Group Center or A in Jan 1945 ?
donwhite
Contributor

Post by donwhite »

Hello Kelvin,

I believe it was in East Prussia with Army Group Mitte (tactically with 'GD' Division?).

Cheers
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

Hi, Don, thank. :D