schwere Heeres-Panzerjäger-Abteilung 88

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Commissar D, the Evil

schwere Heeres-Panzerjäger-Abteilung 88

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Does anyone have any information on this outfit? Who commanded it?
Any information would help, including leads on books that give some insight into its campaigns.

Best Regards,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

Big D ! :D

You probably already have the following but I'll post it anyway -

From: “Independent Anti-Tank Units of the Wehrmacht” by James A. Broshot and Jason Long.

Anti-Tank-Battalion 88 (18. Panzer-Division)
schwere Army-Anti-Tank-Battalion 88 (29 Sep 43 )

29 Oct 40: formed by Panzerjäger-Ersatz-Battalion 4 with three companies from Pz.Jg.Kp. 14./52 and 14./101
1 Apr 43: army troops after disbandment of division
Dec 43: Transferred to Mielau where 26 Nashorns were received
Jan 44: 19 Nashorns received and returned to the Eastern Front
Jun 44: 10 Nashorns received
Aug 44: 20 Nashorns received
Sep 44: 10 Nashorns received
Nov 44: 17th Army, Army Group Center
27 Jan 45: attached to 20th Panzer Division, XVII Corps, 17th Army, Army Group Center, Upper Silesia
7 Feb 45: attached to 20th Panzer Division, XVII Corps, 17th Army, Army Group Center, Upper Silesia
Mar 45: 4 Nashorns received

Hope this is a start -
regards -
Signed: "The Shadow"
Commissar D, the Evil

Hello my Shadowy friend! Thanks for posting this, I ran across the site--truth is I'm puzzled that there is so little information available on a formation that saw combat on the Ostfront for well over a year. It looks like the history of the Schwere Jagdpanzer units on the Ostfront are one of those gaping holes in research on the Wehrmacht.

Best Regards, David
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

[quote="Commissar D, the Evil"]Hello my Shadowy friend! Thanks for posting this, I ran across the site--truth is I'm puzzled that there is so little information available on a formation that saw combat on the Ostfront for well over a year. It looks like the history of the Schwere Jagdpanzer units on the Ostfront are one of those gaping holes in research on the Wehrmacht.

Commissar :D
Yes! I, too, noticed this almost total lack of documentation re: above.
Find this very strange - obviously they would always be in the thick of the action!!

best -
Paul E
Supporter

Post by Paul E »

Hope this helps,

Hauptmann Martin Uhlig won the Ritterkreuz on 11/3/1945 as Kdr of schw.Panzerjager Abteilung 88.

He is still alive today,

Paul
Ron Klages
In Memorium †

schwere Heeres Panzerjäger Abteilung 88

Post by Ron Klages »

Hi all,

Here is what Nuts and Bolts No. 14 has to say and I quote:

"Formed on October 29th, 1940, from Pz.Jg.Ers.Abt. 4 (Wk. IV), 14./Inf.Reg. 52 and 14./Inf.Reg. 101, for the newly formed 18. Pz.Div. It fought exclusively with the 18.Pz.Div. until the division was deactivated on September 29, 1943. During October and November of that year the Pz.Jg.Abt. 88 supported the 18.Pz.Gr.Div., and in late November was sent to Truppenübungsplatz Mielau to re-organize with Hornisse. In February and March 1944 the s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt. 88 was sent to the Eastern Front under the 1.Pz.Armee (H.Gr.Nord-Ukraine), where it supported units of the III. Pz.Korps during the battle of Kamenez-Podolzk. During March and April 1944, the s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt. 88 supported the 6.Pz.Div. and 17. Pz.Div. In May 1944, the Nashorns of the s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt. 88 were the first to destroy a JS-2, which the s.Pz.Abt. 506 towed away. On 15th July the s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt. 88 was with the XXXXVIII. Pz.Korps near Brody, where it stayed with H.Gr. Ukraine (later H.Gr.A) until the end of 1944. During the Soviet Winter Offensive in January 1945, the s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt. 88 supported the Pz.Reg. 21 near Preiswitz, Silesia. Reportedly, the s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt. 88 tested some I.R. night vision equipment near Katowice (Kattowitz), during this time. In March, the s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt. 88 was with the 17. Armee near Marzdorf, and in April 1945 it was attached to the VIII. Armee Korps (17. Armee). The s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt. 88 retreated into the area northeast of Prague, where they surrendered to the Soviets.

From the same publication here are the deliveries of Nashorns:

4 transported on 9 Dec43
11 transported on 19 Dec43
3 transported on 6 Jan44
16 transported on 14 Jan44
10 transported on 17 Jun44
10 transported on 9 Aug44
10 transported on 26 Aug44 and received on 5 Sep44
10 transported on 1 Sep44 and received on 5 Sep44
4 transported on 11 Mar45and received on 13 Mar45

Total of 78

From the same publication here is the status of their Nashorns on 30 Dec44: Total=48; operational=47;in maintenance=1

So I believe this data should increase one's knowledge of this unit. Also in Nuts and Bolts 14 there are two color drawings on this units Nashorns as well as four photographs.

best regards to all,

Ron Klages
Ron Klages
Lynnwood, Washington USA
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

Ron -
Greetings from up north of you !
Thanks for the info - helps fill in a few of my gaps!
best regards and hope the wind storms are over -
Commissar D, the Evil

Guys, you know that I vastly appreciate your contributions. Here's something interesting:
On 15th July the s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt. 88 was with the XXXXVIII. Pz.Korps near Brody, where it stayed with H.Gr. Ukraine (later H.Gr.A) until the end of 1944.
Now Brody was the scene of a massive encirclement of German forces that ended around July 22nd. XXXXVIII Pz. Corps was on the right flank of the XIII Corps which was destroyed. XXXXVIII Pz. Corps was a part, at that time of 1st Panzer Army. 1st and 8th Panzer Divisions, which attempted to seal off the southern Russian pincer surrounding XIII Corps, were also a part of 1st Panzer Army, so there is the tantalizing prospect that s.Pz. Jg. Abt. 88 took part in the fighting during this Soviet Offensive.

Hmmm. I have a feeling that there is very much we don't know about this formation.

Best Regards, David
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

David -
I have a map showing 8.Pz.Div., 1.Pz.Div., 349.Inf.Div. (all XXXXVIII PzK units) swinging to the N.W. to assist XIII AK's attempted breakout to the Lemberg area [west]. If Pz.Jag.Abt.88 was attached to any of these, or in korps reserve, wouldn't be surprised if it was a part of the "relief" attempt.
regards -
Commissar D, the Evil

Very Interesting Shadowy One. I have very little detailed information on this phase of the collapse of the Ostfront. But I'm beginning to see the direction this is leading to. This seems to be one of those research problems that can only be solved by looking into the histories of larger formations, like 1st and 8th Panzer. This will be difficult.

Best Regards, David
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

D -
I've found that trying to track ANY unit on the eastern front between 22 Jun.44 and say early Sept.44 is a real challenge.
I wonder if half the time the OKH had any idea where it's units were - or if they even still existed?
What a shambles!
But, you're right - tracking our little 88 is probably best done through OoB's of higher units.
S -
Commissar D, the Evil

Shadow, I agree with you totally and here we're dealing with a "mere" Abteilung. I've checked a couple of books with decent OOBs and not even found it listed. The unit eventually surrendered to the Soviets, so I have a feeling that it's war diary isn't even accessible.
Plus, 1st and 8th Panzer are two formations I've pretty much ignored until now.

Best Regards, David
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

Dave -
I also found that during this period that there was alot of "fire brigade" type shuffling of portions of units from one area (and command) to another for short periods, which plays havoc with trying to keep track of them! Especially the armour, assault gun, and anti-tank units.
Oh well, if research was easy? - no pain - no gain :D !
Commissar D, the Evil

Ah Shadow, just once I'd like an easy road. Now you see why I stick to Forum Hero tales!! :wink:

Best Regards, David
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

Chuckle...chuckle.....chuckle...... :D
:wink:
best regards, always -