schwere Heeres-Panzerjäger-Abteilung 88

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

P.S. -
"....stilletto heals and suspenders huh?..........
:shock:
Signed: "The Shadow"
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

It is reported that in early March of 1945, Lieutenant Beckmann from sPzJagAbt 88 destroyed Soviet IS-2 at the range of 4600 meters near Marzdorf.
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

I've tried my luck with both divisional histories Stoves (1.PD) and Haupt (8.PD), nothing whatsoever on the Abteilung (1944 summer battles). But, I was more fortunate (O.K. only a few sentences to be exact) with one of your "favorite" authors - Dr. Rolf Hinze and his book Mit dem Mut der Verzweifelung.

29th July: sPzJg-Abt.88 and Heeres-Pi.Btl.42 are sent to Bolechow area (75-80km directly south of Lemberg, maybe supporting the 1.Pz.Div., 8.Pz.Div., 100.Jäg.Div., 371.Inf.Div. in the destruction of Wygoda pocket) they are followed by II./GR 1070 with 1./sPzJg-Abt.88 (11 Nashorns)

late July (no specific date):
Composition of Korpsgruppe Balck:
8.Pz.Div.,
96.Pz.Div.,
18.SS-Pz.Gren.Div.,
254.Inf.Div.,
75.Inf.Div.,
sPzJg-Abt.88,
PzJg-Abt.561,
Werfer Brig.6 (Werfer Rgt. 81 & Werfer Rgt. 82),
plus Heerestruppen;

According to Armeebefehl Nr.9 (again no date, late July) the above mentioned units were sent to west to counter the Russian breakthrough from Lemberg. Due to constant Russian pressure, poor roads this transfer was delayed.

Long nothing till late August (25.-26.8.) when Gruppe von Edelsheim got in trouble as the Russians broke through 371. Inf.Div. (Radomysl Wlk.-Tarnow). A KG from 8.Pz.Div., which included 10 Nashorns from sPzJg-Abt.88 and one battalion from Gren.Rgt.669, sealed the penetration with a strong artillery support.

Cheers
Marko
Commissar D, the Evil

Excellent Marko! I see that I will have to temper my criticism of Hinze from now on! Serves me right for making a blanket statement about any author!

But this is great information and gives me something to work with. Again, I'm much obliged.

Very Best Regards, David
Commissar D, the Evil

Hi Marko and Guys, this was posted by my good friend Andy Hill on TRHF in response to my inquiry there. It is a passage from Georg Gunther's "Last Laurels":

The 20th Panzer Division found itself in late January 1945 in the outskirts of Preiswitz in Upper Silesia, as part of the 17th Army which was in great danger of being trapped by advancing Russian armoured units, in an armoured KG of the 20th Panzer containing elements of the 21st PzRegt and s.PzJag.Abt88. The elements from the 88th were under the command(?) of Lt Wojatzki.

On the morning January 27th Wojatzki’s unit along with PzKpfw IV’s under Lt Beyer threw in another c/a to the south which succeeded where the previous day the Russian’s had pushed Wojatzki’s back to the embankment of the Gleiwitz-Rybnik stretch of railway that led directly past Preiswitz.. Later that day the Russians occupied Preiswitz.

Lt.Wojatzki along with two Hornisse headed for Halemba some 7km’s east of Preiswitz in order to secure a road leading out of the industrial area between Hindenburg & Konigshutte. Wojatzki would act as the rearguard for the retreating German troops, which was achieved in the early hours of the 28th. The retreating Germans went through Nikolai where they saw the remains of Lt.Beckers unit.

The s.PzJag.Abt88 is next mentioned as being part of a KG under Major Breidenbach (20th Panzer). This KG launched an attack and they latter retook the village of Schwarzengrund, though several Hornisse had become casualties. The KG headed west to attack Alt-Grottkau, which it took with the support of StuG Bde 300. No mention was made of the 88th contribution to this fight.
Bit by bit, piece by piece--I think that is the only way we'll learn about this Abteilung.

Very Best Regards, David
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Re: schwere Heeres-Panzerjäger-Abteilung 88

Post by Kelvin »

Anyone know the actual strength of Panzerjager Abteilung 88 during June - July 1944 when it was under the command of Army Group North Uk. like exactly How many Nashorn it actually possesed in June and July 1944 ?
Prosper Vandenbroucke
Enthusiast

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke »

Hello Kelvin,
Have a look over here:
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... derung.htm

Aufgestellt am 29. September 1943 aus der Panzerjäger-Abteilung 88. Im Dezember 1943 wurde die Abteilung nach Mielau verlegt und dort mit 26 Panzerjägern "Nashorn" ausgestattet. Nachdem im Januar 1944 weitere 19 "Nashörner" empfangen worden waren, wurde die Abteilung wieder an die Ostfront verlegt. Im Juni 1944 empfing die Abteilung weitere 10 "Nashörner", im August 1944 20 und im September 1944 10 Stück. Im November 1944 erfolgte die Unterstellung unter die 17. Armee. Am 27. Januar 1945 wurde die Abteilung der 20. Panzer-Division in Oberschlesien unterstellt.

Thus that means 26 + 19 + 10 = 55 in June 1944 but I did'nt know how many where operational.

Kindly regards from Belgium and sorry for my poor english.
Prosper :wink:
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

Hi, I think they had less than 55 Nashorn in June 1944 as battle would exhaust their number. Or I misundstand what you say.
Prosper Vandenbroucke
Enthusiast

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke »

Kelvin wrote:Hi, I think they had less than 55 Nashorn in June 1944 as battle would exhaust their number. Or I misundstand what you say.
It's possible that they have less than 55 Nashorn, that's the reason I wrote:
but I did'nt know how many where operational
There were surely many losses before June 1944, but I did'nt know how much.
Regards
Prosper :wink: