Re Peugeot 202 Berline

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

kentvenish

Re Peugeot 202 Berline

Post by kentvenish »

Good day Folks ..first up I want say a hearty thank you for accepting me onto your forum...

I am an avid follower of WW2 history and a pretty active scale modeler..

I am 57 years of age and did military service from 1982 to 1989 in the then SADF(South African defence force)

Just a little bit of my backround...

At the moment I am doing a little diorama loosely based on the pic attached ...it is a Peugeot 202 Berline with Wehrmacht number plates and as you see it looks to be an injured Luftwaffe soldier being attended to by an America medic,,..

My question is I would like to know what that emblem on the right rear of the Peugeot is?...

I would really appreciate any input...
img_046.jpg
img_046.jpg (157.06 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
Prosper Vandenbroucke
Enthusiast

Re: Re Peugeot 202 Berline

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke »

Hello,
I knew this picture very well and according to a website, this picture was token in Thivars near Chartres in France in 1944.
The wounded german officer is an "Oberleutnant" belonging to an administrative unit of the Luftwaffe but I didn't know the signifience of the emblem.
I will ask on an other forum in french language. Hope it helps.
Sorry for my poor english, but's not my native language
Kindly regards from Belgium
Prosper
Prosper Vandenbroucke
Enthusiast

Re: Re Peugeot 202 Berline

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke »

Hello
It's me again.
I asked on an other forum and I received several answers, but non of them are correct.
After looking the picture the vehicle belongs to the Wehrmacht (WH) and not to the Luftwaffe (WL)
I found also that this picture served in an article published in the 39-45 magazine number 196 from 2002 under the title
" Chartres, la bataille oubliée " but that the identification of the emblem will be difficult and was staying a mistery
If you read french and a little bit german, you will be able to understand the following.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/photosnor ... 2463123895
Collection Rodger Hamilton: The War Photos
wosu.org/2012/archive/hamilton/gallery.php?page=gallery1
Medic attending to wounded officer. German staff car. Note the bullet hole in the rear window.
Une Peugeot 202 portières ouvertes avec une balle qui a traversé la vitre arrière immatriculée WH soit Wehrmacht, l'écusson à l'arrière droit de la voiture reste une énigme !
Au sol étendu sur le dos un officier de la Luftwaffe partiellement déshabillé est soigné par un medic US.
Il s'agit d'un "Oberleutnant" membre non combattant/ fonctionnaire /administratif de la Luftwaffe (beamte der Luftwaffe). Son grade, très caractéristique, est visible sur le revers de sa veste, sous son coude droit. Les "ailes" sont remplacées par deux petits triangles.
www.flickr.com/photos/mlq/12458182015/
Malheureusement la spécialité générale étant " connue " par la couleur de la patte de col ici en N&B et comme l'on ne voit pas si les pattes d'épaules disposent d'un insigne de spécialité (comme le glaive pour la justice, le caducée pour les membres administratifs du service de santé..) cela sera difficile d'en faire état.
La scène se passe devant le château de Spoir près de Thivars au sud de Chartres :
tellmewhere.us/media/f/0624FE13-032D-46F6-B761-A58C37740B...
Source : Dans la revue 39/45 Magazine N°196 de décembre 2002 un article d'Eric Santin " Chartres, la bataille oubliée " avec cette photo ainsi légendée :
" Le 15 août dans l'après-midi, le château de Spoir près de Thivars [juste au sud de Chartres] abritait un détachement allemand ainsi que des camions de ravitaillement. Après un bref combat, une partie du 10th Combat Team réduit les Allemands au silence. Un officier de la Luftwaffe, blessé dans l'affrontement, reçoit les soins d'un infirmier américain ".
10th Combat Team soit le 10th Infantry Rgt du Col. Robert P. Bell (5th US ID) dont on voit du matériel et des homes en arrière-plan.
Dans le fond une pancarte en allemand mais illisible.
Pour aller plus loin :
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peugeot_202

Sorry for the text in french language.
Kindly regards
Prosper :wink: :wink: