5th Grenadier Regiment?!

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

ajrgarratt

5th Grenadier Regiment?!

Post by ajrgarratt »

Hi all,

New to this forum and wondering if I can have some help on naming conventions!

I am looking for a great uncle, Richard Schlichting, who was apparently part of 5th Grenadier Regiment? His dog tag read: "5702-3 / Inf. Ers. Batl 338".

I have tried to look for any information on a "5th Grenadier Regiment" but not sure if 338 is his Battalion or something else! Can anyone help please?

John W. Howard

Re: 5th Grenadier Regiment?!

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello AJ: After an abortive attempt, here is a link to information on Infanterie Ersatz Bn. 338: I believe this was his initial unit in the German military. He may have been transferred later. http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... t338-R.htm I will try to find more. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
ajrgarratt

Post by ajrgarratt »

Hi John,

Thank you very much for the information that makes sense! Therefore what I thought was a typo on the information I had been given by a relative could in fact be his final unit (362)? It forms part of a wounding record and (presumed) death:

"From the present document is hereby confirmed that Schlichting, Richard born 12 Aug 1923 in Hirschfelde, Country Oppeln of Fifth Grenadier Regiment 362 - Lance Corporal, ID (dog tags) 5702-3 / Inf. Ers. Batl 338

seriously wounded 6th Aug 1944 Liubavas (Russian Front), delivered to the Main First Aid Station.
8th Aug 1944 Reserve Military Hospital in Allenstein (East Prussia), Shrapnel both hands and feet, and back
No further reports have been delivered to this Post."

I suppose we can surmise that he was part of 362 Battalion of 5th Grenadier Regiment when he was wounded? Unfortunately, on that fantastic lexicon-der-wehrmacht website, Grenadier-Regiment 5 doesn't exist! It goes 1,2,3,4,6 :[]
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

5.Kompanie / Gren.Rgt.362 :wink:

Jan-Hendrik