Eastern Panzerjaeger Units Rebuilt near Antwerp in 1944?

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Dubliner
Supporter

Eastern Panzerjaeger Units Rebuilt near Antwerp in 1944?

Post by Dubliner »

I am trying to rule out the possibility that the Marder I below used by resistance fighters in the liberation of Antwerp in September 1944 was a vehicle left behind in depot by a refitting Eastern Front Panzerjaeger unit. I know Martin Block has identified this vehicle as belonging to Pz.Jg.Abt.719, but there are some questions regarding the kill rings on the barrel and the placement of the Balkenkreuz that have lead some to wonder if this vehicle belong to another unit. If the Signal Corps date on the photo is correct 719.Inf.Div. had only be in combat for 2-3 days which makes 4 kill rings unlikely and the location of the Balkenkreuz does match photos of other known Marder Is belonging to Pz.Jg.Abt.719.

Were any of the following Heersgruppe Mitte units rebuilt or disbanded near Antwerp in Belgium or nearby Holland 1944?

35.Inf.Div. - 2.Kp./Pz.Jg.Abt.35
Pz.Jg.Abt.743
72.Inf.Div. - 3.Kp./Pz.Jg.Abt.72
206.Inf.Div - 1.Pz.Jaeg.(Sfl.Kp.)/Schn.Abt.206
256.Inf.Div - Pz.Jg.Kp.256

Thanks,

Chris.
Alanmccoubrey
Contributor

Re: Eastern Panzerjaeger Units Rebuilt near Antwerp in 1944?

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

Chris, why are the 4 kill markings unlikely ? Have you checked to see how many tanks the British lost in the Antwerp fighting ?
Alan
Dubliner
Supporter

Post by Dubliner »

Several posts by Martin Block in the following thread develop a timeline for Pz.Jg.Abt.719 entering the fighting against the Merxem bridgehead on 7-Sept-44, but the Signal Corps photo of the captured Marder I with the kill rings is dated 8-Sept-44. I will try to see if I can find a source for British 11th Armoured Division losses during the week of 3-Sept to 10-Sept-44.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0&t=169156

Regards,

Chris.
Alanmccoubrey
Contributor

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

Chris, I've been following your quest on the various forums and this is just where I chose to ask the question, nothing I've seen so far precludes them actually making 4 kills especially as I believe that the entire Platoon would take credit for each victory.
Alan
Dubliner
Supporter

Post by Dubliner »

Hi Alan,
A lot of fresh paint to add to vehicle in 24-36 hours by two very different owners, but I agree there is no evidence to say it didn't happen.
This is one of those little bits of history that makes me want to get on a plane to Amsterdam and rent a car for a road trip to Antwerp.

Best Regards,

Chris