What unit is this?

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Hambone

What unit is this?

Post by Hambone »

These markings in the liner of a vet bringback M.40 Heer helmet:

3./L.B. Batl. 13

It was " 3. / L.B. Batl. 8 " and the "8" was crossed out and "13" added. My guess is 3 kompanie landsturm bataillon 13 or
3 kompanie landwehr bataillon 13.

Any help in identifying this further or unit history is appreciated.

Cheers,
HB
fridgeman
Supporter

Re: What unit is this?

Post by fridgeman »

Hi Hambone! Here is my guess:

#1 Leichtes Bataillon (light (infantry) batallion). Pretty unprobable, the term was common in ww1, but outdated in ww2.
Also it would have a "B." for batallion, and another "batallion" outwritten right after it. Uncommon too.

#2 Luftschiffer-Bataillon (Airship/Zeppelin batallion).
Same here. The term was common in ww1, but outdated in ww2. Also it have the "B." for batallion, and another "batallion" outwritten right after it.

#3 Luftwaffen-Bau-Bataillon (Airforce build bataillon). These troops built and repaired small airfields close to the frontline.
I'm pretty sure its this. These units are not well researched, and not much info around about them.
But its sure at end of war these units saw combat too, and were also used to guard airfields or join small anti partisan actions.
Also you read often that these units were filled will "hiwis" because it was no real frontline fight unit. Means they had many
estonians, latvians and other nationalities in their lines.