info

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

bernhard37049
Supporter

info

Post by bernhard37049 »

any new information on a INFANTERIE-REGIMENT 186 unterstellung der 73.INFANTERIE-DIVISION .....einsatzraum AUG. 1942=KAUKASUS UND einsatzraum SEPT.1942/DEZ. = NOVOROSSISK CANNOT find any info. hard to find on 73. INF. DIV. were they going to oil fields grandfather was wounded near NOVOROSSISK Russian army, partisans or what fighting units near this sea port correct me if I am mistaking but I believe 73.ID was part of the 6th ARMEE that was diverted south to the oil fields while the rest went on to STALINGRAD. If this is correct than it saved his live or many years in captivity. He was severly wounded by a grenade but did come home in 1945. THANKS in advance Bernhard
Jerry
Associate

Re: info

Post by Jerry »

73 InD was not part of 6th Armee in latter half of '42. The division was part of 17th Armee at that time and assigned to XXXXIX Geb.K. for the capture of Rostov and Bataisk in July '42. The division stayed with the Gebirgs Korps for the opening stages of "Operation Edelweiss" the attack on the Caucasus. The division was transferred to V A.K. for the attack on and capture of Krasnodar in early August and stayed with the Korps thru the middle of 1944 when it was overrun in Sevastopol. The division fought in the Novorossisk area from September '42 thru Februay '43.

Hope that is of some help to you............Jerry
When you're in command..... command!
bernhard37049
Supporter

Re: info

Post by bernhard37049 »

thanks for the information. it was very helpful.....thanks again bernhard