Heeres-Küsten-Art. Abteilung 145

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

NIka

Heeres-Küsten-Art. Abteilung 145

Post by NIka »

Greetings!
Does anyone have information on Heeres-Küsten-Art. Abteilung 145?
They were involved in the Crimean campaign and are mentioned in "Kampf um die Krim" by Tieke as the forces involved against the Soviet navy landing in 1942. There seems to be very little written about them otherwise. All I have found so far is the obvious:"Heeres-Küsten-Artillerie-Abteilung 145 - Aufgestellt am 26. Juni 1941 zu drei Batterien. Im Mai 1942 lag die 2. Batterie in Jewpatoria auf der Krim. Im August 1944 wurde die Abteilung in der Südukraine vernichtet. Ersatztruppenteil war die Artillerie-Ersatz-Abteilung 215."

I am very interested in the history of the division and its commanders.

Thanks so much in advance for any information!

Nika
Lorenz
Patron

Re: Heeres-Küsten-Art. Abteilung 145

Post by Lorenz »

Nika -

Most KTB'er- und Anlagen for the smaller Heer units (Bataillonen, Abteilungen, Regimenter, usw.) did not survive the war. Many of them were destroyed in August 1944 during an Allied bombing of Potsdam where the Heeresarchiv was located. You will have to determine the Division, Korps, Armeeoberkommando and Heeresgruppe that Heeres-Küsten-Art. Abteilung 145 belonged to in Crimea and elsewhere, and then research these records, many of which did survive the war. You should also check with MGFA (Militärgeschichtliche Forschungsamt) that was in Freiburg im Breisgau until the mid- or late-1990's and then moved to Potsdam. MGFA has a large number of special unit history monographs for the smaller units that were written by the unit commanders and officers during the 1945-1985 period.

Lorenz
NIka

Post by NIka »

Thanks so much, Lorenz! I did not know about an archive in Potsdam, I will try to go there next week. Do you suppose though that if KTB'er- und Anlagen documents were destroyed, the general records would still have a sufficient information to determine the history and geographical locations of the Abteilung in Crimea, and names of its commanders? (given that I know that they were a part of the Army Group South, etc.?)

Nika
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Hi Nika -

(1) You had better locate and call MGFA before going there. It's an official office of the German government and it does have a large archive, but I do not know if they have a research room that's open to the public. However, I am sure they will assist you in finding monographs and papers concerning Heeres-Kü.Art.Abt. 145.

(2) The general records, i.e., those of a Korps, AOK and Heeresgruppe or equivalent, which are held at the Bundesarchiv-Militärarchiv in Freiburg im Breisgau, should allow you to piece together a rudimentary history of the Abteilung that gives specific locations, movements, significant activity and perhaps the rank and last name of its Kommandeure. First names rarely are given as that was German Army custom at the time. The Luftwaffe and the Kriegsmarine almost always gave both the first and last names, but the Heer almost never. Strange.

L.
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

THis is the first time I have heard of the MGFA - I had assumed all military records were at BAMA. Is there any sort of index that indicates the holdings at MGFA ?

thanks,

Mad Dog
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

I don't know. MGFA is the direct counterpart to the Office of the Chief of Military History/Center for Military History in Washington D.C. that wrote and published all of the so-called "green series" histories of the U.S. Army during World War II. MGFA writes the multi-volume histories of the Wehrmacht in World War II. Its mandate is to serve the German armed forces and the German government. They deal with the public only with reluctance and then only if you are credentialed. I was able to get some assistance from MGFA 15-16 years ago but only because I belonged to the American Committee on the History of the Second World War, a now defunct organization of mostly university professors. I do know that MGFA has little patience for foreigners who are not fluent in German.

But give it a shot. All they can do is say "Nein!"

L.
NIka

Post by NIka »

Thanks, Lorenz! I will post about my experience and anything new I find about the Abteilung. I think I will also be visiting WASt to clarify a few details with them first, as I find that researchers there are certainly most friendly and courteous.
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

We will be looking forward to your findings, Nika!

L.