11th Panzer Division / 110th Panzer Grenadier Regiment

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Jim K

11th Panzer Division / 110th Panzer Grenadier Regiment

Post by Jim K »

This question is equipment related. Which units within the 11th Panzer Division had halftracks?

I know that by 1944, a battalion of the 110th Panzer Grenadier, the recon battalion, and part of the pioneer battalion were equipped with SPWs, but I do not have all of the FMS documents on the 11th. I *think* that the recon battalion was equipped with them before Russian and that the 110th did not get them until 42. Can anyone confirm that or set me straight?
Gary Kennedy

Re: 11th Panzer Division / 110th Panzer Grenadier Regiment

Post by Gary Kennedy »

The October 1942 Gliederung over on Sturmpanzer shows all of 1st Bn, 110th Pz Gren Regt as armoured, with just No.2 Coy of the 61st Motorcycle Rifle Bn in light halftracks, and finally a single Platoon in the 209th Pioneer Bn.

The 1943 Gliederung on the same site shows the 61st Pz Recce Bn upgrading all but No.4 Coy to armoured (this staying with motorcycles it seems) during the latter half of 1943. I'm not sure whether the unit was fully armoured during 1944.

Earlier than that, Leo Niehorster's site has them with just a single Rifle Coy in 1st Bn, 110th Regt, as halftrack equipped in June 1941.

Hope that's some help,

Gary
Jim K

Re: 11th Panzer Division / 110th Panzer Grenadier Regiment

Post by Jim K »

Yes, Gary, that helps a lot! Thanks for responding.