Help with researching a relative's war service

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Simon R

Help with researching a relative's war service

Post by Simon R »

Hi,

Firstly, apologies if I have posted in the wrong place, but I am hoping someone can help or point me in the right direction.

I hope to find out more about my Wife's relative, Heinrich Markus who was born in Apeldoorn in Emsland - who was killed in November of 1944, somewhere in Poland I beleive.

I have located him on Volksbund.de but the information on him there only seems to give his name, date of birth and date he was killed.

What I am interested in is the unit/regiment he served in, where he would have been fighting and which battle he was killed in.

Any help that you may offer will be greatly received!

Many Thanks

Simon
hucks216
Contributor

Re: Help with researching a relative's war service

Post by hucks216 »

If she is a relative then your wife could try contacting here...
http://www.dd-wast.de
...although it might take up to 6 months for them to get back to you with any information (or a rejection of your request.)
Or your wife (being the relative) could try the German Red Cross...
http://www.drk.de
Simon R

Post by Simon R »

Would she still be able to submit this request even though she is not a "direct" relative? This is her Grandmother's cousin you see!

Many Thanks

Simon
hucks216
Contributor

Post by hucks216 »

Simon R wrote:Would she still be able to submit this request even though she is not a "direct" relative? This is her Grandmother's cousin you see!

Many Thanks

Simon
I have no idea I'm afraid (but think they only tend to deal with Next Of Kin type relatives) but there is only one way to find out and it can't hurt to try.
Simon R

Post by Simon R »

We shall give them a try!

Thanks for your advice.