Wanted: name of border village in Ukraine(Siedlungshauptamt)

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Albertsen

Wanted: name of border village in Ukraine(Siedlungshauptamt)

Post by Albertsen »

Hi,

I am hoping that anyone can assist me with the name of a small camp in a border village in Ukraine near the Polish border. Apparently this camp should have been administrated by Siedlungshauptamt and its purpose was to direct wounded soldiers from the SS into civil jobs e.g. in agriculture in Ukraine.

Also I know that the camp was a former school and when looking at my handwritten docs the name of the village reads something like "Krinmin" but it is very hard to read thus not sure. I cannot find the name online either.

Anyone who knows what small border village I am speaking of?

Thanks in advance,
Linkar

Re: Wanted: name of border village in Ukraine(Siedlungshauptamt)

Post by Linkar »

Could it be Korczmin in Poland near the border with Ukraine? Remarkably, Korczmin website has both Polish and Ukrainian versions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korczmin
http://www.korczmin.pl/

If you could scan the document with the place name and post the image here, it could help a bit.
Albertsen

Post by Albertsen »

Hi Linkar,

Thanks for your msg! Actually Korczmin could be it, however, I cannot find anything online that links this city to the subject :?

I have attached a picture of the handwritten village name hoping that this can be of any assistance!
Attachments
10.jpg
10.jpg (27.45 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
Linkar

Post by Linkar »

Not very readable...

How about Kriwin (Kryvyn in today's Ukraine)? The problem is that Kryvyn (or Staryi Kryvyn) is quite away from the Polish border. It's south of Rivne (Rovno in Russian, Rowno in German). But Rowno was the capital of Reichcommissariat Ukraine.
Albertsen

Post by Albertsen »

Hi Linkar,

No I cannot read it either - I have tried alot of combinations on google to see if any proper matches appeared, however, without any luck.

I am aware of Rowno - and the person who wrote the letter was in Rowno later on as well. He was only quartered for a short period in this specific village along with wounded SS personell and he writes that it is located near the Polish border making it hard to believe it should be Kriwin as well :?

I believe the best suggestion is Korczmin. Btw the dots over the letters indicates that it could be both an "i" but also a "u" cf. Danish writing back then. Maybe this info could lead to other suggestions?
Linkar

Post by Linkar »

By the way, Rovno was a Polish city prior to 1939. Here's a map of 1939 Poland:
Poland1939_physical.jpg
Poland1939_physical.jpg (334.2 KiB) Viewed 4445 times
Rovno was Rowne at the time. Kryvyn was a short distance east of town of Ostrog (Ostroh), which was on Polish-Ukrainian border. If the author of your letter referred to the pre-1939 Polish borders, then Kryvyn could make sense. I think things could be quite confusing there. Since the area was under the Soviet rule only for a short while, the locals could still consider themselves subjects of Poland, not the Soviet Union.

Is there any indication in the letter of how long it took the author to travel from Kryvyn/Korczmin to Rovno?
Njorl
Contributor

Post by Njorl »

Hello,

My theory is, the writing is 'Kriszin', which most probably is Kryszyn. Kryszyn is a small village in SE Poland, a few kilometers from Polish-Ukrainian border (here it is on ViaMichelin).

Please post some sample of text where 's' and 'z' are written, just for comparison.

Regards,
MJU
"Always be ready to speak your mind and a base man will avoid you" W. Blake, Proverbs of Hell
Albertsen

Post by Albertsen »

Hi Linkar/Njorl,

Today I actually received several research docs from RuSHA and some of these indicate that the person that I am investigating was in stationed temporary in "Kriwin bei Ostrog, SS-Unterkunftsheim".

So Linkar - you nailed it!

Thank you both very much for assisting in this :up:
Linkar

Post by Linkar »

Albertsen wrote:Hi Linkar/Njorl,

Today I actually received several research docs from RuSHA and some of these indicate that the person that I am investigating was in stationed temporary in "Kriwin bei Ostrog, SS-Unterkunftsheim".

So Linkar - you nailed it!

Thank you both very much for assisting in this :up:
Glad to help! :-) :D