german wheel division infomation please

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

douglas5102

german wheel division infomation please

Post by douglas5102 »

I have feldpost numbers belonging to red-abteilung 1/306 and 1/301 which translates to wheel division.
this is a motorized unit I think, can someone tell me what part of the army they are in and who do I find where they faught.

also is there a way to find out where field hospital 257 was. My cover has this letter going to feldpost 31987 from 32955 and then fowarded to feldpost 37768 fielf hospital 257 which the recipent was at after being wounded. Can anyone help out?
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Re: german wheel division infomation please

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Douglas!

The german RAD units belonged to the Reichsarbeitsdienst, the RAD (Reich Labour Service) and there were many RAD Batallions working with construction installations in the field and eventually at the front lines, used as auxiliary units, mainly in the FLAK (AA) role but as the war effort worsened for Germany also as infantry at the front.
As with many organizations originating from the NSDAP, the RAD as a labour organization was para-military in it's structure.

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Re: german wheel division infomation please

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Here are some informative links were you can read on the RAD and also find from what parts of the Reich your wanted units might have originated from...

http://www.feldgrau.com/rad.html
http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=2859

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)